Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Test Google's Latest Prototype  (View post)

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

Monday, April 23, 2007
17 years ago8,363 views

Philipp, watch out for the last "quote" on that string, its not valid.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Thanks, fixed!

Trogdor [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

I'm not crazy about it. With the alternative-engine links so far above the query, it's less obvious that clicking on them takes you to that kind of search for that query. I do like the drop-down with the More, though.

Of course, this seems to make sense with how Google has been updating things. Google seems more interested in getting it perfect, immediately, hence the one-box with a map in the normal SERPs, instead of you having to click on Maps or Local to get to it.

But there are times when they don't get it, and I DO want to go to Video, News, Images, etc. For those times, I'm glad for the links at the top taking me directly there, and I think it should be obvious that those links do exactly that. At the moment, it's less so.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

If you search for "hello", you get a search option for "Code" as well, even though it's a labs product. Cool. I guess it recognises "hello world" as a common string.

Overall, I like it. But I think they need to separate the search services from the "office" services. Why are Calendar and Docs in with Patents? People will just get confused. Why not just have an Apps panel on the right?

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Yes, it works at English Google.
At Chinese Google(not Google.cn),
http://hongxiaowan.googlepages.com/GoogleNewUi.JPG

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Some related with Google Suggest?

ZZ [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

The new interface looks so elegant. and nice.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It's not working for me, using Firefox, from Argentina (but always browsing through google.com (in english))

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

There is nothing in the box in the blog for me!

Jeremy Mikkola [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I like it; very clean and simple.

Danton [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

How does Google decide wich layout they should use?

17 years ago #

James, which browser?

J.P. [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

your recipe doesn't work.
I get nothing, or an error.

I had to remove the parenthesees at the end, which got me from an error, to no response.

So apparently only tech weenies can figure this out.

17 years ago #

J.P.: have you tried this from Google.com? Not e.g. Google.de, Google.fr or another country domain...

17 years ago #

I was using FF. I closed it and opened it again and it was there. Is it normal that when i hit return that PREFID etc comes up?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

oppsy.. I got a freaky result

PREF=ID=fddb01133a87d314:LD=en:CR=2:
TM=1177334998:LM=1177334998:GM=1:S=
OOg0FEVzpPplxe9J;path=/; domain=.google.com

[Added line breaks. -Philipp]

17 years ago #

> Is it normal that when i hit return that
> PREFID etc comes up?

Yes. So now when you search on Google.com do you get the design prototype?

jk [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I love how it gives you other services if you search c++ vs. politics for example

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Peter, ya I got that too. Now search for something on Google ;)

17 years ago #

Jk, that's smart indeed...

"c++" --> Code Books Groups
http://blogoscoped.com/files/google-protoype-2007-04-test-1.png

"politics" --> Blogs Groups News Books
http://blogoscoped.com/files/google-protoype-2007-04-test-2.png

"britney spears" --> News Images Blogs Archives Music Video
http://blogoscoped.com/files/google-protoype-2007-04-test-3.png

And information on page load time and result count moved to the bottom to clean up the interface. This is very interesting. I'm not sure I like the related search being repeated, above results and below, though. Maybe just below is enough?

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Philipp – Your screenshots show other categories that the query can be used in. For example, Britney Spears has "News, Images, Blogs, Archives, Music, Video" but your search for C++ only has "Code, Books, Groups". I like the idea of searching in other categories like that.

I would prefer the related searches at the bottom of my search results page though. It is adding too many links in one area of the page when everything is at the top. Plus, where will they put the ads???

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I like it a lot. Not quite sure about the left-aligned footer at first, but it's growing on me. And I think it would look at little off-balanced if it was centered.

I see they're taking the emphasis off the number of results returned by only showing it at the bottom of the page in a light shade of grey too.

17 years ago #

The top right navigation is getting cluttered:
"philipp.lenssen[put at-character here]gmail.com | My Notebooks | Web History | My Account | Sign out"

Maybe just "Philipp Lenssen | Your services ▼ | Sign out [x]" – with a dropdown – would be enough?

I also think the homepage doesn't fit 100% with the prototype design. Maybe they could just take the footer from the SERPs to replace the current footer on the Google homepage.

ZZ [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

This is one of the best prototypes I have seen from G's UI tests.

If only they clean up the top right navigation just like the above post suggests and give user configurable services on the top rather than default, it would be a killer.

And throw in the my most used services, since they already know it, (kinda personalized based on my usage).

And remove the related searches at top or atleast put an x to it. so i can close it and save that preference on a cookie.

I am a big fan of the + thingy that opens up when u search for stocks. Kinda show it to me on the SERPs rather than make me click and go to another google search property. If only they expand it to incorporate with other services like video, news etc, that would be real cool.

az [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

its not working for me... when i enter it i get the PREFID: thingy but google looks normal when i search for something...

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Are they going to roll it out any soon... few hours ago i could not get the design when i was signed in with my account in firefox but could make it work in IE where i was not signed in. But just now I got it working with my google account signed in? Strange, isn't it ?

Jeff [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

There isn't much of a difference but I like it,

notbeinguseful [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

It looks nice and professional. The bright colors have gotten old, just like the old iMac translucency got old.

I just disagree with the fact that it takes more vertical space, and I really wish they'd keep the page indexer on the bottom centered.

Keith Chan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

By putting the search box at the bottom above the links to next result page means that Google is more confident about it relevancy and thinks that there is more chance a user used a inaccurate keyword then Google providing users irrelevant result.

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It looks great to me. But language tools has been removed. I think they should keep that. What other features would you like to see added to this design?

bartheq [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I like it but number of results should be on top no matter what. I often search for sth just to check how many results there are /usually site:XXX/ and having to go all the way down to see the number kinda sucks.

17 years ago #

> But language tools has been removed.

Where did they remove it?

17 years ago #

Ouch – the dictionary definition link is missing! I'm switching back to the old design, I use this shortcut a lot... (entering a word I don't know and then click on it to go to Answers.com).

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< entering a word I don't know >>
You sure Philipp ?
Your English is very high leveled. :)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< Ouch – the dictionary definition link is missing! >>

You can always go to answers.com or add the search engine to FF's search box.

17 years ago #

Sure I can, but it just made Google less useful to me. I don't go to Wikipedia to search Wikipedia, I don't go to Answers.com to search their dictionary, as these sites are mostly slower and I prefer a single search engine, if possible. Besides, I already have my FF search box set to Leo English <--> German translations and don't feel like switching all the time. All in all I think Google should integrate the dictionary link in their new design.

Milly [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I think the context-specific links are cool, but it's too busy at the top of the page, and I miss the 'Definition link too.

For those having difficulties with the JS link, I've made another bookmarklet for it – GoogleAnon 'Special Edition' – to make it easier to try, and/or to chop and change between old and new :-

http://www.imilly.com/google-cookie.htm#googleanon-se

As with the main GoogleAnon, this should work with almost all browsers and Google country domains. Tested with IE6/7, Opera 8+9, Firefox 1.5/2.0 and about 20 country domains.

(BTW, the ZapCookie and ShowCookie bookmarklets on the same page can also be useful for testing, reverting, etc. even if you're just manually pasting in Philipp's javascript link).

17 years ago #

Yes its working philipp

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]az when I search from Google.com i get redirected to google.ie(my local version). Try searching from http://google.com/ncr or changing the local thing to .com if that is also your problem

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Pretty neat interface

How will they decide which one to keep? or its just the roadmap that it will change.

./Rohit

17 years ago #

Rohit, I think Google is collecting usage data right now; time spent looking at results, how many people click the top results, how many people click the "related queries", how many people follow-up to page 2 of the search results, how many click on ads etc., and then compare all these ratios to the existing search result design, and then make a decision based on that.

I hope they don't forget the "long tail" of uses/ usefulness of the search results. While people may only rarely look at the dictionary definition, and they may only rarely look at the page count, for instance, taken together all these "bonus" features are part of the usefulness of Google results, because you have a one-stop for searching.

17 years ago #

Philipp the define: (word) fuction works perfectly for me. Is that what you were referring to earlier?

17 years ago #

I was referring to how Google turns any search for words found in a dictionary into links to Answers.com (formerly Dictionary.com). I used this quite a bit. The define operator comes close, and I also used it, though sometimes just getting a single authoritative definition beats this...

17 years ago #

I never knew you could do that!

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!