Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Docs Forms  (View post)

Jared Cherup [PersonRank 10]

Wednesday, February 6, 2008
16 years ago10,502 views

You can now create forms with Google Spreadsheets. An awesome feature in my opinion.

http://googledocs.blogspot.com/2008/02/stop-sharing-spreadsheets-start.html

hebbet [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

That's a very tool.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Cool.

BTW, it looks like the codename was "bluebird" – it's all over the code.

Motti [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

The confirmation mail to inform you that your form has been created starts as follows:

------------------------------------------------
Yo.

You just sent the "test qus" (http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=blahblahblah) form to the following people:
<snip>
------------------------------------------------

Yes, "Yo". I kid you not.

Above 4 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

joshnunn [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

This would be perfect if you could embed the code into your own pages (not an iframe but copy/paste the html) to pick up all the styling of your own pages, but store the data with Google.

I know, whinging about such a fantastic new feature is just wrong...

B [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]joshnunn: You can take the HTML of the published form and put it wherever you want and it will still work as long as the form structure stays the same. Stylize all you want.

Marek Prokop [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

These forms are awesome, however in Czech version the character encoding is wrong and the forms don't work with accented characters properly. Does it work in German?

DPic [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Yes! This is a good way to pull off having a survey tool without creating an unecessary new service. These google guys are quite clever, no?

Brenton Cleeland [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

A couple of problems in my quick tests:

They allow multiple submissions, making this pretty much useless for public polls.

There is no way to add information like referrer or IP address data to the spreadsheet.

It's really nice though, I'm doing a quick test here if anyone is interested: http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=pnopUa6jWhtNpE2t4k3AdBA

Mike [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Yes, missing IP and/or referrer information.
Would be great if new submissions/changes of documents would trigger Google to send email to notify. Could be the perfect solution for a contact form.
Another one is validating, like email address.
Also, the addresses could automatically be added to a Google Apps mailing list for newsletters etc.

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

I really doubt whether it can be used for public polls which might have dozens or hundreds of people concurrently connecting the the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet was designed for collaboration of a small group. When hundreds of people connect to the same spreadsheet, the performances of publishing changes between the server and the clients will surely be greatly downgraded, and may even crash.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Great feature! I like the way Google havent made Google Polls they've made something better off the back of something they've already got. Saves "integrating" later... build extra features not extra services.

Chuck Martin [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Useful for quizzes in education? Quick tabulation of quiz responses; though check for validity is a problem. Still, better than pencil and paper.

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

to write a script that will submit over 1 million form results in a few minutes and abuse the feature to hell!?!??!?! ... OH GEEZE ... think of the complications, think of the children!

i can't wait till they find a vulnerability via this new feature.

David Mulder [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Bluebird: Strange code name for a google feature as it has quite a different meaning to dutch people and normally they check such stuff...

Faizal [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

can we embed form that we create, when I try it not show the form but the spreadsheet itself.

Marco [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

When using this with google for your domain the people who receive the form need to login.. not with a google account but with the google apps account... strange!

Marco [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

See here the problem with Google for you Domain: http://spreadsheets.google.com/a/point.nl/viewform?key=pbWfRZcGnOInGyMwbCWNOBg

mdcgent [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

That's a great new feature! :)

Brenton, how did you do it to show the results beneath the survey? :o

elyk [PersonRank 6]

16 years ago #

"There is no way to add information like referrer or IP address data to the spreadsheet."
Not directly, but what you could do is create a form with a blank field for ip address. Copy the html, host it on your own server, change the ip address field to hidden, and use server-side scripting to fill it with the user's ip address. The same would work for referrer.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

ok question here.. how the heck do I get the widget to add to a blog.. I just like how the other widgets are available on Blogspot ? just drag and drop method is that possible ?

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

It's not yet widgetized, you need to have an iframe point to the form unfortunately...

<iframe src="YOUR-DOC-ADDRESS" style="width: 500px; height: 400px"><a href="YOUR-DOC-ADDRESS">Survey</a></iframe>

Jenjen [PersonRank 1]

16 years ago #

It's pretty sweet... only thing I'd like to see extra is to have a little more control over the followup message like being able to link back to my home page. If I put HTML in there it just displays as text once the user submits the form. But I think I'll go tell Google that!!!

Jérôme Flipo [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Few troubles. And I don't even know what are exactly those troubles: when I've changed some questions (only their titles), I found all my questions disordered, and the titles wrong (for half of them, they've become "observations" instead of "name", or "adress").

The worst is that this form has been send to many companies for a large scale communication operation. Interesting experience!

Antonín Slejška [PersonRank 0]

16 years ago #

Is there some solution for publishing of the form from Google Apps? I created a survey, but I'm the only one who can answer it :-)
http://spreadsheets.google.com/a/slejska.eu/viewform?key=pjFNNEUR3knHx8f356s1BBA

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

[put at-character here]Anotonin:
Not quite.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?key=pjFNNEUR3knHx8f356s1BBA

Jared Cherup [PersonRank 10]

16 years ago #

Wufoo (http://wufoo.com) is a full featured forms provider. You should check it out. The next thing that Google Forms should include is limiting one response per IP address.

[Link fixed – Tony]

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!