Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Microsoft Wishing to Pay Publishers to Block Googlebot?  (View post)

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

Monday, November 23, 2009
14 years ago10,237 views

Wow... now they are desperate to get rid of Google... What are they afraid of Chrome OS?

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

What M$FT Wants:
1. Google "The Sun"
2. Website not there
3. Go to Bing, search for "The Sun"
4. Top result is The Sun website

More likely to happen:
1. Google "The Sun"
2. Click Wikipedia link for The Sun
3. Click link to The Sun website

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

This idea was launched two weeks ago:
http://blogmaverick.com/2009/11/13/google-murdoch-madoff/
http://www.daniweb.com/news/story238775.html
It's not an idea from Murdoch's or Ballmer's brain.

BizAbh [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Mark Cuban's Plan to Kill Google!!!

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/163519.html

6 days ago i posted it

BizAbh [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

who cares about fox news etc , there r lots of lot of news sites where i can news . why would anybody cares about it . Micro$oft is became crazy for fear of Google . history always repeat itself Bill and steave . u mis the bus dude . stop running like a head less chicken :P

/pd [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

If Rupert Murdoch tries to leverage his network to exclude Google and favor Bing, how about we blacklist Bing crawlers from our sites?

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

And Microsoft wonders why people hate them...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

The blocking of Bing idea hit the frontpage of Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/a79v7/if_rupert_murdoch_tries_to_leverage_his_network/

Brock [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

This is so anti-consumer it makes me sick. Can you imagine how fast the FTC would jump down Google's throat (with its 70% market share) if they started paying key sites like Wikipedia or Reuters to block Bing or Yahoo?

imma [PersonRank 3]

14 years ago #

Blocking access like this would seem to play into the hands of sites that scrape & copy content – if the only indexed place is a content scraper pretending to be you, then will users even notice? :-/ Particularly if they provide up-to-date versions of the content just with their ads by the side...

Mike Sullivan [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Rupert Murdoch apparently doesn't realize that the Wall Street Journal has an agreement with Google whereby it gives Google free access to its content for use on the search engine, under the First Click Free program. Alex Bennett of the WSJ confirmed this arrangement at http://networkednews.wordpress.com/2009/08/27/the-wall-street-journals-fancy-seo-tricks-grayhat/ . If Murdoch wants the WSJ to be out of Google, he doesn't need Microsoft to arrange it; he simply needs to end his deal with Google.

Rob Fuller [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

Philipp, I think you over-estimate the influence of Google's brand here. News websites are not generic and inter-changeable. In the UK, newspapers command a lot of tribal loyalty, and the Sun and the Times are huge institutions. If people search Google for them and don't find what they want, they'll decide it's Google which is at fault. The people who read those newspapers don't tend to be the young and tech-savvy.

I think this is an idea which has wings: if word gets around that a few important sites are missing from Google but available on Bing, people really would start to switch. Certainly I think people are more likely to change search engine than to change newspaper.

Alex Ksikes [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

I really wish this will happen. Leave the propaganda to Bing. Good thing!

Andy Wong [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Didn't Google tell many times about noindex?

Does Rupert Murdoch pretend not knowing noindex?

or he just makes up an excuses of blocking Google and allowing MS which will pay for the indexing?

Terry J. Bowers [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

Dear Sirs,

You now have aligned against you two of the most detrimental entities walking the face of the earth.
Diabolical in their desire to thwart progress in America in a self serving enterprise. Mainly to distort the diagnosis and assessment of man's potential for the gain of the few and further consolidation of wealth and influence.....Please I know Billy has tried to placate guilty conscience with giving to worthwhile causes like so many Robber Barons before him.........Good Luck ...SLIM BALLS..........we hear your voice in the halls of Congress looking to further undermine the freedom we once enjoyed.

Rather than yield to this conglomeration of pond scum that jointly want to have determined where the future of the world should go to resemble a characterization of their dreams or better yet the megalomania focus...after ruining so many people to attain their lofty position...they just need to destroy the next opposition.

I hope that your mission statement actually has depth and handholds for for our resurrection..... if not another loss of freedom is at hand......the capitulation of moral responsibility in helping the future generations to evolve with freedom as its core.

Anyway ramblings are hard to contain when tyrants are in the house....I implore you to undermine the vile poison your two adversaries are articulating and maybe take a preemptive strike to assure that the future stays calm....writing this I remember the accusations of your behavior in suppressing Chinese for the growth of Google....sometimes things are not worth the exposure of daylight .... I have been informed of one simple fact the mad-dogs have walked as long as they can.... hopefully you address things that's gaol is to offer no help to freedoms destruction and an open field to the worthwhile endeavors of people in need across the planet.

Warm Regards,

T

JEShack [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

This may not be related, but Microsoft is just not afraid of Google, recently Ron Markezich, corporate VP of Microsoft Online, dubbed Zoho and Google Docs as "fake office."
And let's call Bing as the Fake Google. tshh.
Now, let's call this war.

Cormac [PersonRank 3]

14 years ago #

"Microsoft Wishing to Pay Publishers to Block Googlebot?"

If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear it does it make a sound.

beussery [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

It's a shame that Microsoft is instigating this situation in such a manner based on pure greed and to bad Mr. Murdoch will be remembered this way.

If this goes down, I hope Google will take a stand and continue to block all News Corp sites indefinitely even after they come crawling back.

News will get out one way or another!

gregy [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

hahah, i cant believe it , this is fair :D
htacces and VOILA

[Signature URL removed – Tony]

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

4 billions clicks to 25.000 news websites every month (1 billion from Google News, 3 billions from Google Websearch), that is to say 100.000 clicks by minute

(Media?) AdSense partners earn 5 billions dollars each year.
source: http://www.zorgloob.com/2009-11/google-repond-aux-critiques-des-sites-dactualites/ => http://googleamericalatinablog.blogspot.com/2009/11/google-news-los-diarios-y-usted.html

Cookie Lee [PersonRank 9]

14 years ago #

[put at-character here]Mrrix32:
   Nice prediction! xD

r721 [PersonRank 1]

14 years ago #

What about metasearch engine using both Google and Bing engines? Will it win in case of an escalating engine war like that? ;-)

DeSalvionjr [PersonRank 2]

14 years ago #

Google would end up blocking it because it is against google TOS, though nice thought!

Craig [PersonRank 0]

14 years ago #

I did some work for a guy with a pretty cool startup which *COULD* render this pointless, the site is twerq.com, but I dont know if its really ever taken off much. Its a cool idea, but I am not sure if its the first.

Ianf [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

Please, let's not pooh-pooh the issue of paid content raised by Murdoch (which it what it amounts to) by pedestrian rhetoric that touts Google's alleged utter beneficence for the newspaper industry, and no ill-effects.

I'll play the devil's advocate for a moment: Murdoch does have a point. "Hands-on" newspaper reading is diminishing at an alarming pace, and easy online availability of the news, something that used to be near-exclusive domain of printed papers for the last 200+ years [earlier, too, although nowhere near later volume], is probably one of the reasons why that happens: why pay for something one gets for free, gets often and without needing to stop by a newsstand? So Murdoch decided to do something about it.

Contrary to many above arguments, he does know what robots.txt is. But he's after a bigger game. Not being a two-bit player but an actual 8000-pound industrial gorilla, he may be just strong enough to DISRUPT the flow of news for a significant while, long enough for other content producers/ publishers to take note and reƫvaluate their options. In comparison with that Google's just a glorified aggregator, not a producer per se of the content. So let us not MISUNDERESTIMATE Murdoch, as G.W. Bush would have said it.

End of devilry. BTW. that NYT article of Eric Pfanner's "Google and News Corp. Do Need Each Other" http://blogoscoped.com/forum/164136.html summarizes the possible outcome pretty well: Murdoch, who does know a thing or two about methods of disruption (remember Wapping? here: http://www.amielandmelburn.org.uk/collections/mt/pdf/87_03_40.pdf), must have considered various exit options, points in the process at which he'll welcome negotiators from aggregators (etc). If, SAY (big "say"), he can get concessions from Google of ensuring that all newspaper-derived news appear in the index no earlier than 24 hours after the [published] fact, AND for being paid in relation to each text's size [or other common metric], then he may consider this a favourable outcome. Especially if any agreement will apply to all of news-gathering and -publishing industry. In the end, it's the economy, stupid.

George R [PersonRank 10]

14 years ago #

[Moved from "News Corp vs Google" – Tony]

Media conglomerate News Corp. partial holdings include many newspapers along with the Fox cable news channel. The Wall Street Journal is one of those newspapers. News Corp's chairman Rupert Murdoch's rhetoric has indicated he does not want Google to index those sites. He has not used robots.txt or other technical means to achieve that.

In The New York Times, Eric Pfanner analyzes who needs whom.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/30/business/media/30iht-cache30.html

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!