Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Calendar in Gmail  (View post)

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

Saturday, April 15, 2006
18 years ago13,050 views

I haven't got any of those futures yet, but I would like to actually see my upcoming events, agenda-style, in Gmail. For example in the same way like "quick contacts" are shown or only one most recent event in the clipper.

maique madeira [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

i've got the calendar working, with a couple of extra calendars. everything seems to work smoothly.

i'm still waiting for the corner bookmarks on gmail, though. they show up on gcal but not on gmail...

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"the day after tomorrow"

Philip, people don't usually use that phrase when inviting someone to an event in writing- your expectations are a bit high. i guess you were just testing.

Anyway, I don't see the calendar features in Gmail yet. I guess they are rolling it out over time.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Nothing here yet. Why is Philipp always upgreaded first?

18 years ago #

By the way: Do the corner bookmarks still open in a new tab/window ? I think this is a real design flaw if they do. I can open them in a new window if I want, but I cant force it to open in the same window.

Stephen [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I haven't got it, either. My account always seems to be the last to be upgraded. I only got Web clips when it was officially released. Although, I am getting those annoying ads in the web clips now :(

I'll be looking forward to the Gmail/Gcal intergration when it rolls out in my account!

Angelo Embuldeniya [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I can open the corner bookmarks in a new tab with Firefox and Opera :D

Ok, the design and some buttons do break in Opera :D, like adding an event to the grid gets all messed up and i can add someone's calendar, hide it buit can not delete it.. opera gives me this bunch of jscript errors. :(

oh well... it's still beta i guess :D

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Or, you are right, it wasn't a very realistic test case...

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I see the "corner bookmarks" when I logon to Gmail this morning, so I guess you should know this already...LOL
That wasn't there yesterday...

Henrique Gusso [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

I got it =)

Henrique Gusso [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

And the bookmarks doesn't make much sense, do they?

It should be in a different frame, or something like that, so it would stick there and only the content of the page would change to Gmail / Calendar.

If not possible, they should at least make it open in the same page, otherwise it looses the effect of the bold indicating that you are now in that site. Whoever wants them to open in a new one that clicks it with the middle mouse button.

Kirby Witmer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Doesn't work for me yet. :-(

Jason Schramm [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

I still don't have my Gmail account integrated with the calendar. Which sucks.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I haven't gotten it either yet. What does someone who doesn't have gmail get for thier invite?

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I also don't see them yet! What's up with that?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

not intergrated yet.. here in canda :(-

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"Philip, people don't usually use that phrase when inviting someone to an event in writing"

True, but it is also missing from the Quick Add (for me to add it myself) and that would be quite useful so I don't have to work out what the date is today and then add two days.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

it works for me now.. I logged off and on again..!! :)-

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

is anyone seeing agenda intergrated ?? I cant find mine in gmail ..!!

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Still buggy... when I accept invitations through invites, it does not add them to my calendar. mine came about midnight I think... I say try pd's log out and back in....
also, pd... no, I don't see it... do we know it's coming? (eg a help somewhere?)

Jacob Gadikian [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

If I send one of these google event invites to an exchange user, will it "work"? Now *that* would be sweet.

18 years ago #

Travis: I don't think there are any articles suggesting that the agenda will come into Gmail. But that would be nice.

Does anyone know if this feature set is being rolled out to accounts that HAVENT signed up for a calendar too ?

I havent got my intergration on an account that has got a calendar. But it would be interesting to see how heavily Google is pushing the calendar.

18 years ago #

Also if someone who has it integrated could say whether it is turnoffable. Do you get a new tab in Settings?

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I add in "sharing" settings priviliges to read my calendar for my friend, who has gmail account, but doesn't logged into Calendar yet. He received an e-mail from my e-mail address with my name and last name and this text:

"I've been using Google Calendar to organize my calendar, find interesting events, and share my schedule with friends and family members. I thought you might like to use Google Calendar, too."

It looks like it was wrote by me, but nobody even have showed me this text! I think that sucks. I don't "share my schedule with friends and family members" and I didn't intended to send him such note.

18 years ago #

Also: do you think Microsoft will rework the Kahuna calendar which is very very web 1.0 compared to this?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Same, theres a GM script that is out for Google Calendar. It integrates your Agenda into a Gmail sidebar. I have not installed. has anyone tried it ??

http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/3829

Paul has screen shoot here http://paul.kedrosky.com/archives/2006/04/14/greasemonkey_me.html

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I had it installed but it won't work...It keep stuck at the Loading...
"Why doesn't my Gmail have Google Calendar related features?" http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?answer=37929&topic=8569

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I think the Gmail integration will make it to everyone who signs up for Calendar. My guess is that some people are on servers that got upgraded first, but it should make it out to everyone over the next few days.

(I'm just guessing though.)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Thanks for the headsup Matt.

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

My wife, who just signed up for gmail yesterday has the integration. I have been using gmail for two years, and I still don't have it. At least reward the veterans first.

On a side note – I'm surprised that some people select sharing or public in their calendar settings, and are then surprised when their schedule is shared or made public. What's up with that? Private is set by default, so I would think a switch to share or make public is intentional.

18 years ago #

"At least reward the veterans first"

LOL!

18 years ago #

Just got it here. And ok it is better than nothing. But it is not perfect at all. Here is what I don't like:

Clicking add add more event info gives a bad request page in a pop up. Just tried it again and it gives a window from the Calendar. This form doesn't feed back to the message at all it just makes a new event as far as I can work out.

The time format is not inherited from Google Calendar. It is US mm/dd/yy by default despite me overriding this in Google Calendar. I could change my language to English (UK) but then I lose not only the calendar integration but the chat feature. That is how behind the Uk version is.

On the corner bookmark it says "Google Mail" which is ok. Nowhere in the interface can you find "Gmail" if you are in the UK. But on the calendar's end it is still "Gmail" which ruins the effect of changing pages.

The corner bookmarks open in new windows. This is madness.

There are still no corner bookmarks on the personalised homepage (or whatever you get when you click "Google" in the corner bookmarks).

I can't get the recognition of events to work at all. I have written myself a test email from a different email account and it just doesn't recognise it.

Finally: it is not turnoffable. Hopefully all these will improve soon!

Tim [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I've been waiting for an autodetect feature like that in outlook... looks like i'm going to make the transition to gmail from my college exchange account

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"On the corner bookmark it says "Google Mail" which is ok. Nowhere in the interface can you find "Gmail" if you are in the UK. But on the calendar's end it is still "Gmail" which ruins the effect of changing pages."
-It says Gmail on both my Gmail and GCal.(Oops, I am in US)

"The corner bookmarks open in new windows. This is madness. "
-Yeah, this one sucks.

"I can't get the recognition of events to work at all. I have written myself a test email from a different email account and it just doesn't recognise it."
-Works for me, maybe you can try this "meeting april 18 8:00 am"

H [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

hi

interesting thread, just read all of it!

two things:
calendar is not yet integrated in my gmail account. i have gmail set to English:UK. when i switch it to US, doesn't make a difference, i tried it a couple of times today.

however, the IS a difference, regarding the quick contacts/chat thing and the webclips. sam wrote exactly the same. my question is: why is it that the change in LANGUAGE results in different features?! doesn't make sense to me... and i dislike that fact. I don't want am/pm times displayed, as i live in london, so i have it in English:UK. but then i don't have the quick contacts... i can live without them, though. but i take it the integrated calendar will only appear when set to US english?! that would suck!

18 years ago #

I think that is right. Gmail is VERY slow at rolling out featrures for languages other than English US.

18 years ago #

Haochi: The recognition is working now thanks.

Other things about Google Calendar that aren't quite right: (and I am including minor things here)

Search Options panel doesn't have rounded corners. It does in Gmail, and everything else does in GCal.

Settings panel shows a thin orange line between the tabs and the content.

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Sam, I noticed that when the "add to calendar" link is not triggered that you could still add any events in your email my using the "more actions" drop down menu.

18 years ago #

Okay, well since this has become a complaints thread (Thanks Sam) I thought I'd list some gripes that I have just in case important eyes happen to grace this page. These are in the order of what I personally think their importance is.
0) I carry a Pocket PC. It would add to the calendar's value immensely if I could synchronize it with the calendar that I have with me the other 2/3 of a day that I'm not at my computer.
1) I think there should be a way to include other calendars within your base calendar... this way, I can just share one calendar with my (fictional) secretary, anything that is on my personal calendar is marked busy, everything on my "Birthdays" and "anniversaries" calendars she can see the details of (so she can get everyone cards for me to sign ;o)) and everything on my office calendar, she can edit and such so that she can keep my schedule for me. Also, this would give me the ability to export as one file to XML or ical
2) When I receive an invitation I should be able to choose what calendar it adds the appt to, and not just add it to my base calendar. Most of the invitations that I receive will be for my business and personal calendars, neither of which are my base calendar.

(This is about the point where importance drops off a cliff to me)

3) In the agenda tab, you should have "from" and "to" options... when I turn off all but My birthday's Calendar, and I want to see a full years list, currently I have to click "Look for more" a half dozen times and then bring the date back to today.
4) I am constantly right clicking trying to get options.... I have been using this for days and can't stop right clicking. I have seen other people do this as well, so I highly suspect that right click is an expected means of accessing options to users and this should maybe be updated.
5) If I delete an event from my calendar that I was invited to, I should be able to re add it by clicking the link in my E-mail again.

All in all, I think that it was built to handle multiple calendars, but it wasn't given much thought to how people might actually use that functionality (at least not people like me who like to really stretch technology)

Of course, I agree with may of other peoples issues, like the whole new window bit. I admit, I often would want it in a new window, but that is one reason I use firefox... but when I'm at home on my Moses era computer, all it does is make me wait another minute for the new browser window to load before I can see my calendar.
Gmail integration is still a bit shabby, but I imagine that'll get significantly better with time.
I have yet to get an agenda E-mail.... not sure why that is, but it would be helpful to get.

Well, I know this all sounds like complaints, but it really is just a bunch of feature requests. I do think that this service is awesome, kicks the crap outta outlook! I really do appreciate it and intend to use it fully. Thanks Google!!! you ROCK... (well maybe except for the whole China thing)

18 years ago #

Ohh, and if they could make http://calandar.google.com point to it too, I'd be much obliged, since I still am having trouble remembering that calendar is spelled with an e in there somewhere!

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

okay it seems that i must be the only one still searching in Google Calendar for the "To-Do" list / section!! this should have been there since the start. A calendar with no "to-do" section is not a full calendar at all.

Wishlist – A simple "To-Do" list in GCal.

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Or writes...
> I'm surprised that some people select sharing
> or public in their calendar settings, and are
> then surprised when their schedule is shared
> or made public. What's up with that?

Matt predicted this when he said, "Even though meetings are private by default, I’m sure that in 2-3 days, someone will bend over backwards to claim that Google Calendar somehow hurts someone’s privacy."
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/review-google-calendar/

On a side-note I wonder how the public calendar search option synchronizes with your setting of making a calendar public/ private. I couldn't find the Search Events calendar in the search immediately, even though I made it public, and reversely I did find some calendars which then told me "I don't have the rights to add this" when I wanted to add them. (Search Events can be found now, by the way.... I guess the search takes around a day/ a couple of days to update.)

18 years ago #

Josue.... Create a calendar called "todo" and place events around when they are due... and then use the Agenda section to see it in a list view. I know it's not what you are looking for, but it's a creative solution!

OREO [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

"At least reward the veterans first." haha yeah!! I still haven't gotten any Gmail intergration with Gcal and I've been a Gmail user for two years! :(

Why is this so slow?? Did everyone get theirs already? Any tips?

Online Rajan [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Google Simply Rocks...I am able to see all the features...Wonderful.
A suggestion for those who are not seeing the features Try to compose a email You will be able to see "Add event info" link.Rest you can explore.
Thanks.
Rajan.

SW [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

looking forward to the corner bookmark from gmail. hasn't appeared yet.

and yeah it should've open in same window by default, so we have the option.

18 years ago #

Hurray... i've got it now!! it works for me in gmail!!

18 years ago #

LOL This is the number one question in GCalc support today:

http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?answer=37929

18 years ago #

Wow the link in the corner bookmark is to /cl2!

18 years ago #

i noticed the link to /cl2 as well. I wonder what the purpose of that is.

Ryo [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

For some reason the email notification doesnt work for me.

anyone got it to work?

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I sent an attached picture, and I thought I was the first here. hehe

I noticed recently Links on the top left of GMAIL.
Those links are Google Products services related.
Attached the picture,
Was it new or ?

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!