Google Blogoscoped

Forum

Google Maps Recommends a Long Swim  (View post)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

Thursday, March 29, 2007
17 years ago10,515 views

hahah.. thats a good catch.. ..google does have a sense of humor when theyreach a dead end road :)-

dinah [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I was going to swim the 3,500 miles until I saw that they don't tell you where to get refreshment once in Brittain. Come on Google, after 29 days of swimming, I'm going to need some serious Gatorade

Prateek [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

What makes them think that swimming would be better option than flying. Anyways nice catch!!

Alan Dean [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Quite why the instruction is to swim to Le Havre, not an English port is bemusing ...

Sdub [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

You can map directions from any point in the US to any point in Europe, and it has you swimming from Boston to France

Jack Hynes [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

kottke just covered this as well, he went from NYC to Dublin. Again for some strange reason it goes through France and England first!

http://www.kottke.org/remainder/07/03/13112.html

Dan Tobias [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

I guess that's the only swimming route they mapped... though it would be more logical to aim to come ashore at a point closer to your destination.

photoactive [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This seems to work only between North America (Canada and the US) and Europe. Sensible really. Who'd want to swim from Buenos Aires to Madrid? Who'd dare to swim from Cape Town to Sydney?

Johan [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I can see the lawsuit and headlines coming already...

Someone WILL take this literally!

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Jack, Alan and Dan, Its quicker to swim to France, Duh! Water is calmer there too.

(sarcasm rocks!)

Barry Schwartz [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

hasnt this been this way since Google Maps added Europe?

Elias Kai [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It should sugget you to wear the life water jacket....

Veky [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Obviously the Maps team wanted it to be discovered in 3 days, but they underestimated us. ;-]

Nate [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

"Family sues Google after fatal attempt at trans-atlantic swim"

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<<hasn't this been this way since Google Maps added Europe>>

No, Previously GMaps said it couldn't find a route between the places specified.

Could you even swim that far in one go? You'd be warn out!

ewancoo [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

It's Google's other way of saying "Don't go there" :)

Remco Kouwenhoven [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Google used this funny google maps result themselves during their Google GeoDay in Amsterdam (NL). For more see www.nederkaart.nl

Thomas Hofmann Online [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Nice Joke. Nonetheless it has some other issues in really direction serching. Why it is not possible in Google Maps to search for a direction
?
Both locations for themselfs are found standalone. But other inter-country directions work like:

Other Routing-services can handle such queries. If you want take a try at http://www.adac.de . This is the biggest german automobile club. I think Google should enable this.

greetings, Thomas

Veky [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The problem is probably that Croatia still hasn't much road data in Google Maps. If they rely on our government to provide that data, it's obvious they'll wait for a long time... :-[

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!