Forum

IGoogle's Broken Calendar  (View post)

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

Tuesday, May 29, 2007
17 years ago13,798 views

Calendar2 works fine. Use that one.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I use "Google Calendar – MII.1.14" and I can't watch my calendar since a while, cause of "Checking for Authentication..." :-/

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

calendar2.xml shows the calendar, but absolutely no event :-/

PS : I found the bug noticed in my previsous message: I've to go on google.COM/ig and not on .FR/ig

Ian Davies [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Well... no, it doesn't really. Having done some testing some testing, it seems that the agenda only loads in calendar2.xml if you have already signed into Google Calendar in that browser session. If you open the browser to iGoogle not having gone to the main calendar page, the agenda will not load.

One workaround is to set your homepage open both iGoogle and Google Calendar in separate tabs, and by the time the Calendar gadget has loaded you'll be signed into Google Calendar in the other tab and the agenda will load. You then just need to close the Calendar tab. Still though, this all seems rather silly, and the vast majority of users will not have thought of this workaround. In fact, most people probably still have the original calendar.xml on their homepages, which has been broken ever since iGoogle was rolled out. As Philipp says, it's strange that Google didn't just replace the existing gadget rather than uploading another one to a different URL (and even the new one doesn't work properly!). There are a lot of frustrated users in the 'about this gadget' comments, and for many people the agenda's the most important part of their homepage. This thing's been broken for weeks now, and I hope Google sort it out really soon. It's not doing them any favours...

thochi [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

for german user:

the old calendar will only work with the german locale in url:

http://www.google.com/ig?hl=de

the new calendar does not work at all ...

Ian Davies [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Whoops, that was meant to be in reply to Ionut's post, but it looks like I was too slow!

The calendar2.xml gadget should actually work on google.fr just fine. One of calendar2.xml's upgrades was that the agenda, on the rare occasion that does actually work, is supported in all of the Google domains. The original calendar.xml gadget only ever worked on google.com. But again, why they didn't just replace the broken one I don't understand..

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

To slow... or I'm too fast :-P

Jared Cherup [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Good... it's not just me. Both calendar gadgets aren't working.

Ondrej [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

calendar2.xml works for me most of the time, but it doesn't have the option of hiding the calendar and showing only the agenda.

Dr FeelBad [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I have bee noticing all kinds of errors in Google Calendar today.

pacificdave [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Folks are going quite crazy about this. I don't blame them personally. Here's another ongoing conversation in Google Groups with a Gcalendar rep.

http://groups.google.com/group/google-calendar-help-bugs/browse_frm/thread/964a5f338da12887

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'll ask a couple people about it, but it sounds like the Google rep on that board is also on it..

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Thank you SuperMatt!

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Thanks Matt, I'm yet again having to use the non-official Google calendar gadget because both of the Google created ones aren't working correctly all of the time.

Ioannus de Verani [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Phillip: Thanks a billion for posting this! It was getting frustrating.

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Why use calendar on the screen. I still like big papers on the war.

Jason [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I've had that official calendar widget on my personalised page since the day it was released and it has never ever ever ever ever ever displayed any of my google calendar dates. I've pretty much tried everything (including calendar2) but its never worked.

Peekay [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

When I resize the browser window or use the Reader gadget to read an item (in the AJAX popup – not the original item) – Firefox keeps going to google to fetch something and ends up making the scrollbar appear and disappear until I refresh the whole page. Anyone else getting this?

I think I've traced it to the new google calendar gadget – if I minimize that gadget the behaviour ceases. It fixed the missing event problem, but now...

Nick Spacek [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Actually, this was also an issue with calendars and Google Canada and had been acknowledged, but to my knowledge had never been fixed.

Peekay [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

seems to be fine now – the last line is now:
Quick Add – Create Event – Show Agenda
and the odd behaviour is gone.

Mott [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

One thing you guys have to remember is the "show agenda" links only ever showed on the google.com/ig page not localised versions (e.g. google.co.uk/ig) so set your homepage to .com and that might help.

Mott [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Actually forget I said that, it's one of the things fixed in calendar2.xml

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Someone who alerted me the problem originally writes:

<<I am very happy to announce that it looks like the iGoogle Calendar issue has magically fixed itself within the past 12 hrs or so. Firefox, IE multiple PC's on the same account. Just like the good old days..

Unfortunately I can't say the same thing for the Google Apps Personalized home page.

Just logged in and it's stuck grinding away in FF 2+ trying to syndicate stuff from the source partnerpage.google.com

It has been grinding away for 3 minutes now and nothing.... Hmmm..

Maybe a new cookie/ssl conflict? I used to be able to have iGoogle in one window and my apps personalized page in the other and work away..

Oh shit... I just tried a test..

I have the personalized page http://partnerpage.google.com/mydomain.com up and the calendar will simply NOT work. So, to test my ssl theory I simply injected a s after the http eg. https://. I accepted the certificate in Firefox and then the strangest thing happened. I suddenly had iGoogle in front of me..!?!? So, yes.. It looks like is a SSL issue..>>

MarWi [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

Maybe this is the wrong thread but I can't even get the iGoogle Gmail Applet to work with my Apps (formerly "for your domain") account. Am I the only one?

Marc R. [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Still doesn't work, even after clearing cache/history, and installing the new calendar2.xml gadget.

Don Maxwell [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Calendar2.xml gadget worked fine for my on my laptop but not my desktop. I tried both IE and FF on the desktop with no joy UNTIL!
I authenticated into gmail in a second tab. After refreshing the personalized google homepage in the first tab, my agenda and other options appeared.

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Hmm. So it works on iGoogle but not the personalized homepage for Apps now? I'll check again.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

personalized homepage for apps?

Freddie Hornedo [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

My iGoogle Calendar worked for awhile then I made the mistake of clicking the link to ADD CALENDAR TO iGOOGLE when it was already there and it hasn't worked since. The dates that I have events are in bold but when I click on them nothing happens. I've tried in IE7, FF and Safari on multiple computers. I tried the calendar2 download and it did not help. Not sure what to do at this point.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!