The previous thread was here:
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/20595.html

Jeff [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Sorry...i dont like the domain name googlepages.com....:(

Ashman [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Bravo!

If I could merge it with Blogger I would be happier but still my hat is off to Google once again. Taking over the world with a crisp and simple look on life.

Oh and also I try to put a video from Google video on there using the HTML script and it just doesn't want to load! When this is fixed then ill be serious.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I can't add AdSense code in my page. Bad...

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Me session was terminated by another user.... then my request timed out..... doesn't seem quite ready!

Vinny Lingham [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

A poor attempt at trying to replicate what we've been doing with Synthasite (http://www.synthasite.com) using AJAX etc.

18 years ago #

Seems they have now had the ability to "break the lock" when you get an error, but all that does is bring you back to the last auto save...

18 years ago #

Okay, once again, too many posts by me. But that just means I'm persistent!
There seems to be no built in spell checking, and if you use the one from the Google tool bar, it buggers the page up pretty bad.
It also seems they have no real means of linking from one page to another.
Still lacking quite a bit, but my guess is that in about a week it'll be much nicer!

18 years ago #

Okay, I know "Travis Shut up!!!" but at least I'm keeping you up to date.... here is my latest issue.

I was able to change templates before, but now, no matter what I change to or how I do it I get this error :

"Google Page Creator is having a little trouble right now.
This is not because of anything you did; it's just a little hiccup in our system that will hopefully go away soon. We apologize for the inconvenience, and recommend you try reloading this page."

dx0ne [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Maybe "20% projects" are hosted on some "20% servers"

BrianS [PersonRank 7]

18 years ago #

An interesting notice I just received while tryin to edit a page:

"Page Locked. This page is locked by another user."

Who else could have locked one of MY pages? Maybe this is a sign of other functionality where you have the ability to work on other peoples pages and check them out?

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

They have mentioned on the main page that this is in "early testing," so I would expect that there would more hiccups than their typical betas.

Also Philipp, you would also be able to access the page you made via http://philipplenssen.googlepages.com/ or http://phili.pplenssen.googlepages.com/ (like gmail, you can add and remove periods from your username.

18 years ago #

Seems compleatly dead now... can't edit any pages... it says they are locked and crashes when I try to unlock them. I can not create pages, I get the good o'l "Oops... the system was unable to perform your operation. Please try again in a few seconds"

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Google is creating a lot of duplicate content by allowing the dot to be anywhere in the URL name. They shouldn't do that I think...

Travis, I can't edit anymore either. I'm also getting a message telling me "the page is locked by another user."

Mo [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Google Page Creator is having a little trouble right now.
This is not because of anything you did; it's just a little hiccup in our system that will hopefully go away soon. We apologize for the inconvenience, and recommend you try reloading this page.

Corsin Camichel [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Philipp I agree why you. If they want to offer such a service, why not use a permament redirect? And is the current way not agains their policies?

18 years ago #

Okay.... I saved up comments for a little while. but everything is still down
1) putting content here is going to be an easy way to get your gmail address harvested
   (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Agooglepages.com)
   of course, if they are spamming so many gmailers, it'll at least get caught in the spam filter
2) no way to actually edit the template of a page (CSS or anything else) not sure if this will change as their goal is to make it easy to use
3) I suspect, as google is now an official registrar that you will be able to put your own domain on this page which may solve issue 1 (assuming that it never actually publishes with yourname.googlepages.com)

4) (well, you know me, I'll probably be back!)

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

1) Server space is limited to 100MB

2) I got the msg locked by another user. But theres the linky that says [["break the lock and edit"]] I think that this is a session timing issue per userID

3) mypage is supporting mulitple dotted notion url. This bad bad off.

4) good way to pimp myself , tag which states "Adult content ; The content on my pages may be unsuitable for minors "

5) I tried to change [setting]{sitename } form slash.pd to [myname] some erro msg popped up. No save button for site setting

6) file uploading seems to be pretty quick, but a reduant process. The pics I loaded did not appear as part of the imagelist when I tried to insert Iamges (?) like yeah where did they dissapper eh ?/

7) my pub pages Site http://slash.pd.googlepages.com/home [warning not good for the office]]!!

18 years ago #

Phillip, duplicate content? I imagine they resolve the username to something canonical (like remove all periods) before they decide where to send you. I don't think there's any duplicated content, as this would be an inefficient use of space. So it's likely no matter how many periods you put in there, it's just going to resolve the name without periods before it shows you any content. I would guess there's probably a way to verify if this is true.

Terry [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Instead of naming it Google Page, they should've just taken a note from the co-founder's name and named it "Google Larry Page". ha!

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

For those who just want an easy way to create a free website, http://wordpress.com/ offers robust and functional free hosting.

In addition to blog posts, WordPress can act as a content management system for the creation of non-blog "pages".

SamD [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I was too late to get in. But I don't think I would have had much use for it anyway. Premade template websites.... no thanks.

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Niraj, I think he means that there are a number of different ways of accessing the SAME content. IE multiple aliases..

But this could be misinterpreted as lots of different websites.

In domain terms

the.worldwideweb.googlepages.com
is just as different to
theworld.wideweb.googlepages.com
as it is different to
somethingelsealtogether.gmail.com

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Ughh.. last one should have been
somethingelsealtogether.googlepages.com

Who thinks they'll stick ads in soon?

SamD [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Of course they will.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Niraj: It can't convert canonical just like that.. it will break the cored of RFC1035!!

Danny [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

A number of companies such as www.mosaicglobe.com are doing this better.

ChicagoSage [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I don't like the fact that the url includes the Google username. Won't spammers be able to do a search on [site:googlepages.com] and scrape the usernames from the results to get a list of valid gmail accounts to spam?

Zoolander [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

http://slash.pd.googlepages.com/home and
http://slashpd.googlepages.com/home resolves to the same. so no biggie

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I finally got in and it worked at a reasonable speed. So it looks like you either get in and it works, or you dont get in at all, which is better than in the past where it worked really slow for everyone.

18 years ago #

Awesome how much media Google gets this time on another Beta and a (not so) new service.
Forbes, MSN, CNBC, blogoschoped and and and..
Well, the stockmarket says "Thank you" (up 379.59$, more than 4%)

Ant [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Uhhh Corsin I'm pretty sure the 4% jump has absolutely nothing to do with this Page Creator.

mrbene [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

4 hours of availability, or was it a tad more?

That's less than the Google Analytics.

Maybe they'd expect this type of traffic. Or maybe they do.

/bene.

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Ant : a 4% spike is quite a hike.. if the markcap is %75.36 B, then its just takes a little bit of maths tio figure out how much $$ value was created today.. yes a little bit less then $5B!!

now what to roll that down into forward buying bearish or bullish market ?? tone out by the hr or by the minit or top of every hr for buy /sell ??

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

pages on overload..users are seeing this ..

"Due to heavy demand, we are unable to offer new accounts for today. If you'd like to be added to our waiting list, please enter your email address."

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Niraj writes:
> I don't think there's any duplicated content, as
> this would be an inefficient use of space

Like Splasho mentioned, I meant the multiple URLs that are now available to access the same content. Multiple URLs for the same thing will potentially split up PageRank (people are allowed to link to a URL using a variety of misspellings), and also clutter search results. Possibly, this even results to those "redundant content" behavior Google implements in its results. It might also confuse bots, among other things that may go wrong...

18 years ago #

In the end, I found that it seems to have far less errors in IE. I thought it might just be timing, so I logged out and back in on firefox... and started getting errors all over the place again.

Ashman [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Look as long as Google remains with no ads I can cope.

Caleb E [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Does this remind anyone else of a google base for dummies type thing? it's even blue! one of the biggest complaints about google base is that it was too techically oriented, what with words like attributes and such.

18 years ago #

Quote (http://www.valleywag.com/tech/google/google-page-creator-rated-meh-156705.php):
Another Valleywag rumor confirmed – Google launched its Google Page Creator today. This is the rumored Trogdor project – basically Geocities 2.0.

Guys, it's not a rumour if you get insider tips.

CoMagz [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Don't use Google pages before you read this!

Google Web page creator reveals your email to spammers!

Details:

http://www.comagz.com/webmagazine/news/google_web_page_creator_and_google_strategy

18 years ago #

CoMagz
That is a problem, that Google Mail aka GMail spamtechnique and Google Servers have to deal with.

Shawn [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I don't like the fact that the url includes the Google username. Won't spammers be able to do a search on [site:googlepages.com] and scrape the usernames from the results to get a list of valid gmail accounts to spam?

Good point!

Ashley [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

It looks excellent. I'm going to try it out as soon as I can. Looks very sophisticated and innovating.

Although, I can imagine spammers searching for URL that include googlepages.com and then transforming the username part of it into a GMail address, then sending everyday spam to these addresses. I'm not really concerned about that though.

Ashley [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

LOL, I read the comments again and noticed that Shawn has actually pointed this out. Shawn was there first :)

Epic Guide [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Google is always on track to shake things up, and this new Google Page Creator is one of them. Though it seems that all of their launches have problems with over demand in the begining, I've writhen more about the idea at http://www.epicguide.com/2006/02/24/google-page-creator/

Kriti [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Aww man.... here's what google.pages says now, (when I tried signing up):

"Thank you for your interest in Google Page Creator! Google Page Creator has experienced extremely strong demand, and, as a result, we have temporarily limited the number of new signups as we increase capacity. In the meantime, please submit your email address and we will notify you as soon as we are ready to add new accounts. Thank you for your patience."

guess google has some more work on their hands (read:spam problem) anyway...

i'll be watching this space.

18 years ago #

"LOL, I read the comments again and noticed that Shawn has actually pointed this out. Shawn was there first :)"

Okay, I usually let my credit just be stolen but when someone outright says that someone else was before me... if you look about a page above Shawn, I said the same thing and even provided a link! ;o)

18 years ago #

Travis, I got you beat with a link in the previous thread, which is linked from the first post in this thread :)

Or, to make it easy: http://zuchinis.net/niraj/stories.php?sid=238&tid=25

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!