Forum

Google Feature Requests?  (View post)

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

Sunday, April 16, 2006
18 years ago43,821 views

I want GDRIVE

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

1) A personalized homepage that looks just like the real thing (by default) and loads just as fast, too (no second-long delay)

2) The ability to show off Google Calendar within blogs (some kind of HTML/ JavaScript widget)

3) Google Translator 2.0, allowing for much improved auto-translation of web pages

israelist [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

full featured navigation system to work from all mobile platforms (cellular phones etc), coupled with a location based search engine that really works.

Sunil Nair [PersonRank 9]

18 years ago #

Philipp, you are quick off the block!!!

01) Single-page log-on for all Google services
02) Use that single page/tab for switching between various services
03) Use of multiple "From" e-mail IDs in GCal (GCal Owner) as taken
   from GMail settings

Utills [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

btw....this is about features in "existing products" I think.

I would like extension support for things like Gmail or Google Reader, whereby the community at large can write extensions, which are then approved by Google and put into some sort of plug-in tray for users who want that extra bit of functionality which may not be suitable for mass release.

A lot like the firefox model, except that Google would need to somehow look at security implications if they allow an extension directly into the site itself. Creating a safe API would solve that which makes the extension communicate with the API and not with the direct Google Service.

Splasho [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

1) SQL-like access to their pages database. Ability to do regular expressions on cached copies to find stuff, etc.

2) More details about AdSense and what cut Google gets.

3) gMail allowing multiple reply-to addresses both from gMail. Instead of requiring 'on behalf of' in Outlook.

didaio [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

1) Ukrainian support of AdSense
2) Gmail out of beta
3) Better mobile support for all Google services

Mathias Schindler [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

1) Cross-language search and content translation

2) Release of Google Book Search content from Public Domain sources in a transparent format

3) A specialized search for Wikipedia that considers the special structure of it

re 1: You type "Stadtplan Tokio" and the first result could be a japanese city map of Tokio. When you click on the link, the pages is presented in the preferred language of the person who was searching. Seamless translation. If you chose so, you won't even see that the page was in a different language.

Sadjad [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1) GDrive
2) New features for gmail
3) Gmail and Google Reader Intergration.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

1) An updated version for Google API with 1000 searches/IP (no key needed) and options to search images, news, blogs.

2) Google Related Search – a product that will find similar pages to a given one within restricted domains (for example, from the same site or a given list).

3) More customizable AdSense ads (change fonts, dimensions, number of ads).

Jaz Hayre [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

GDrive
Better Gmail Anti-Spam
Google Personalised Homepage needs to integrate better.
Light Version of Google Desktop.

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

1) Messages saving for offline users on their Jabber server.
2) Linux version of their apps.
3) New features in versions other then EN-US

PS: Thanks for the favicon, Philipp!

18 years ago #

See also my (and others) "Hate Relationships" here -> http://blogoscoped.com/forum/23355.html

CJ Millisock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

1) GDrive
2) Google Bookmarks integration with Firefox Toolbar
3) Free fiber optic Internet to the whole world.

Sorry I couldn't help myself. :-D

Stephen [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

1. Integration of Google Talk with AIM.
2. Better integration of all Google stuffs with each other.
3. Linux and Mac softwares.
4. Ability to delete e-mails off google servers for good.

Maxime [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

1) GDrive
2) Google Laws Search
3) Google Reader extension for Firefox in order to know what blogs/sites updated.

m [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

> IMAP for GMail
> Calendar sync w/ Pocket PC
> Google Talk w/ Video

Ashman [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Just get all there stuff out of beta would do it for me.

fullfilth [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

more integration gtalk, gmail, gcal, greader, ggroup, blogger
social bookmark, blogger new features, gdrive
buy this isp company http://www.jaring.my :P

Julian Gall [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

1) More reliable spam filter in GMail
2) Ability to switch between GMail accounts without logging out of other GMail services (e.g. Homepage)
3) Tabs on Google Homepage

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

1) earn more money with AdSense
2) earn more money with AdSense
3) earn more money with AdSense

no seriously :
1) The translation of Google services! Not all the users of Google speaks english...
2) The roads in more contries on Google Maps/Local : the world is not limited at USA, Canada, Japan, UK and Torino!
3) earn more money with AdSense :-))))

Brian Most [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1) Google Calender made useful. (You can't even repeat every 2 weeks, or every Tues/Thurs for example!)
2) Google Reader shouldn't force you to wait through animations when using keyboard shortcuts
3) Personalized home page should have an option to stop logging out automatically

Brian Most [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Oh heck. Strike my previous three and put:

1) Google Talk AIM integration
2) Google Talk AIM integration
3) Google Talk AIM integration

Geert [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Gdrive

All services accessible from one page

Google Calender integrated with Gmail, in fact more interactivity between all services.

Use of "contacts" when forwarding a mail

More possibilities for the lay out of a mail and a nicer lay out of all Google services pages.

That the services keep FREE services, also when they become out of Beta.

Jason Hall [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1.) GDrive
2.) Make Google Bookmarks shareable and visible to other users – work on making it more like del.icio.us and less like...useless.
3.) A more functional Firefox extension that adds a button for "Add this page to my Google Bookmarks" and "Subscribe to this page's feed with Google Reader" and "Add this item to my Froogle shopping list/wish list" and the like.

Haochi [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Brian Most,
This will happen soon.

I want more Gmail feature, I want to get my butt back to the Adsense program, I want GStorage.

Christoph Wagner [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

umh, just one thing;)
a really cool to do list with desktop integration for Gcal;D

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

GDrive
GTalk + AIM
GBROWSER

and where's the Google Easter logo?

Parreira [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

1) Multiple users conversation on GTalk
2) File sending on GTalk
3) Webcam support on GTalk

Reimer [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

1) A SyncML-service connected with Gmail & Gcal.
2) MSN & ICQ connections to Gtalk
3) Integration of the different services recently aquired. (Writely etc.)

Si Hammond [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

1. A full public profile homepage (my.google.com?) bringing together public aspects of calendar, feeds, bookmarks, base, gtalk webclient, okut, etc. Maybe wrapped up in a blogger or googlepages site. Basically, what most geeks end up cobbling together anyway! All the pieces are there.
2. Stay logged in across Google services and natural navigation between them.
3. Optionally record Gtalk sessions. Maybe even transcribe?

xian luac [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

integration of policies between google.com and google.org

Wouter Schut [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

1) New scalable blogger system (no outages, no delays, google account login)
2) Google calendar:
   a) more synchronisations (read vcs attachments, synchronise with mobile phones and pocket pc's, fix mozilla firebird ;)
   b) visualize public calendars with one link (like google reader can with rss-feeds) and also without logging into your google account.
3) Search within Gmail attachments.
3) Upload videos through Picasa (and create a corresponding blog-post).

My predictions of december 2005 was also a bit of wishfull thinking: http://www.seweso.com/blog/2005/12/google-predictions.php (7 out of 22 came true by the way).

MJ Rich [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

Can you pressure Google into making any of this happen, Philipp?

xian luac [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

- an easy way to manage one's public and private footprint on the (google)net: blogger/orkut/base profiles, blog/group posts, webpages, gtalk availability, pseudonims...

- a button to suspend rss-feeds from an address without having to remove it from my subscription list

- remote access to data on my computer without third-parties' gds plugins (it could be step towards gdrive)

Chris C. [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1. Send from multiple confirmed true "From" addresses in Gmail without "sent on behalf of" revealing core Gmail username and thus subjecting it to spammers, etc.

2. Synchronization engine to sync Gmail Contacts and Google Calendar + Tasks/Notes with desktop PIM (Outlook) and/or mobile devices

3. Google Talk with Trillian-like ability to connect to all IM services (AIM, Yahoo, MSN) and archive them all to Gmail.

3a. a MUCH-improved Blogger service that can also create static pages and upload them to our own servers (like Blogger can)

3b. a Google competitor to Flickr that is integrated with Picasa

3c. Google Reader full integration to Gmail

3d. Google Bookmarks made more like del.icio.us

Eric Baillargeon [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

- A standalone service for micro-payments
- A Blogger 2 with ; categories, easy table creation, etc
- Improve translation service

Jon [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

1) "Google Account" page: It's like Gmail, but not just Gmail links in the side menu. One page where you click sidebar links to check mail, videos, calendar and reader. I'd use Reader more if it was a 1 click thing in Gmail, which is intergrated. Or something like that. Web Clips suck.
2) Multiperson chat in Google Talk: can be turned off, and you can choose to have a "do you want to join this chat with: jon, mark, phil". Text and voice.
3) Record calls in Google Talk with permission from both parties.

Jason Schramm [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

1) Partial matching in Google searches (being able to search for parts of words instead of whole words)
2) Partial matching in Google searches (being able to search for parts of words instead of whole words)
2) Google Talk AIM integration

Chris [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

The three that strike me now

1)GDrive
2)Google Talk w/AIM
3)Google to not be evil in China

just slightly off the subject:
You can set an event every two weeks in Google Calendar. Set it to repeat every week, and then a new menu appears with the number of weeks. Set this to two.

pacificdave [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

1) GTalk w/ AIM Integration
2) Voice Conferencing w/ GTalk
3) GTalk w/ AIM Integration

Personman [PersonRank 8]

18 years ago #

1) Support for regular expressions in search.
2) Failing that, support for case matching and punctuation inclusion in search.
3) More full-featured search in Gmail.

Dan [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

1) Sync between Desktop and Reader
2) Calendar Agenda in Desktop sidebar
3) More functionality for Homepage – maybe they should just buy out Pageflakes.

Upendra Upadhyay [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I want google's gmail drive, google's hosting...........

Michael Fagan [PersonRank 3]

18 years ago #

I could name millions, but two stand out far above the others

1) "Input"
Have Google Base include not just submitted, but also crawled data.

They should understand the structured data that's currently being put out. They do a tiny bit with RSS/Atom feeds and calendars, but they don't even have an event search. I'm talking about indexing various XML data, especially microformats.

2) "Output"
Come out with new APIs, Yahoo! is waaay ahead of them here. I could go on about this but...

Mahlon [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1) Google Grid a la EPIC – store any information – blog posts to photos to video to spreadsheets to calendars; access control to keep each item private, share with selected individuals or groups, or share with the world; all content indexed, linkable, searchable; social recommendation engine to surface the good stuff and hide the junk; feeds to subscribe to editors you trust; transparent language translation; AdSense rev share to compensate editors and content authors.

2) Privacy control panel – explicity opt-in or opt-out of the various data streams that Google captures about you; allow each user to decide the right balance between privacy and functionality for them.

3) Device like TiVo or rumored "Google Cube" to play content in my living room.

Stephen [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I nominate somebody to put all of these in a list (by # of apperances?)

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

1-Google Talk Free Mobile Calls, I am ok with ads supported.
2-Free Gdrive, Iok with Ads supported.
3-Single one Sign Up to all Google Services.
4-Realtiy Earth all in 3D or LIVE.
5-Better Google HEALTH
6-Why not to join Google Team with a new mobile Project.

Elias KAI [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

2*3 features.
one for me and one for my son Google

Brinke Guthrie [PersonRank 10]
I asked this question last tursday, seems like everyone is on Vacation.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

- More details on international maps
- Mobile Calendar
- Non-intrusive Outlook syncing
- Better contact management
- Voice in Gmail Chat

/pd [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

>>>"across all of Google’s existing services?"

Show "Customer Appreaciation" = (SERVICE) – send all the above commentors – 1 yrs supply of google gum :)-

http://googlestore.com/product.asp?catid=new&code=GO40038

Gareth [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1) Be logged into multiple accounts in Google Talk. (so my wife's friends and my friends can contact either one of us)
2) Save AdSense ad setups into a personal store so I don't have to recreate them if I want to tweak something. Load and tweak!
3) Cross-application RSS between Reader, Homepage, Clips etc
4) GDrive

Jamcnair [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1. I need a better way of organizing PEOPLE. They can start with fully featured filtering and contacts in GMail. They finally added contact groups, but you can't filter based on Contact Groups. Ex: I have a contact group with all my friends, I want all mails from them labeled as "My friends". I can't do this without creating an arbitrarily long list and maintaining it by hand. This is not very Google. Give me an easy way of tracking a contact across all the Google services we have in common that respects privacy concerns.

2. Better integration among the "Google Ecosystem."
Examples: Gmail + Groups + Reader are almost the same thing – neat ways to organize information "pushed" at you. Combine them.

Blogger + Video + Talk + Picasa + Calendar + Writely + Pages + Base + GMail are neat ways to organize information you create or collaborate on. Combine them where it makes sense and make the rest seamless. Google Talk, Picasa/Hello, and he desktop Blogger program should ALL be the same program.

Local + Earth + Search + Froogle + Dulance + Adwords + Translate + Base are neat ways of organizing information that you have to find for yourself. They have actually made pretty good strides here, because you can get at all of these products from the main search page.

3. I can't think of a third improvement, as 1 and 2 would solve most of my problems. I like many of the suggestions above.

Sebah [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1) AdSense EFT payment for more countries (like Poland)
2) Account global statistics. sth like search history but for all services.
3) Google OS.

Angelo Embuldeniya [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

2) The ability to show off Google Calendar within blogs (some kind of HTML/ JavaScript widget)

That's already available thanks to Russeldad:
http://russelldad.googlepages.com/googlecalendarhomepagemodule#setup

The only downside is that recurring events don't show up but everything else does.. here's a link to a screenshot i took after adding the gcal module to my personalized page:

http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/9452/gcalig2zb.png

;)

Digital Inspiration [PersonRank 2]

18 years ago #

My 2 requests:

1. Add Categories in Blogger.

2. Open Measure Map for public

Dave Goodman [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1. Better gmail spam protection. Highlight mail from your whitelist. Ability to charge a dime from the sender if it's spam. Ability to filter mail by language. I get a lot of spam in Russian.

2. More google search options. Request pages that are under a certain size. Request pages that don't have Flash.

3. A google specification for semantic information, so that data can be marked in a way that google will recognize. Then, if I specify BirthdayOf("Terri Hatcher) for the search, it will return pages that have that relationship and can display just the answer, if desired.

18 years ago #

I would like to remain you all that you can talk in Google Talks with people from AIM/ICQ/MSN and other networks (it's called "jabber transports"). I do it myself. Nobody use one of those networks in Poland, but we have our national monopolist – Gadu-Gadu, so I use gg transport.

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

MJ Rich, I'll try to make sure to pass this list around at Google.

My three:
1. Firefox extension for server-side bookmarks (like IE), but with really easy drag-and-drop into different folders, including a "New" folder that you could then click to rename.
2. Some way to keep my Firefoxes in sync, even across Linux/Windows. So I can have the same extensions/bookmarks/history on the laptop, at work, and at home.
3. Perfect crawl coverage.

(Don't especially expect these three to show up; they're just my personal wishlist.)

Miguel Marcos [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

One wish: No more beta. No more 'try later'.

SCJM [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

-Google Suggest an option for the default search on personalized homepage.
-Get "remove result" actually working in Personalized Search.
-Page reindexing done more often. There's lots of forum posts I've made that have been deleted long ago but still show up in google search.

xina.luac [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

about page indexing: I agree I could be more frequent, beyond that I'd like people have some more control on their "footprint". A case: a woman had a trail, she was judged guilty and than innocent. She is still guilty on Google search.

mcummins [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1) Useful result filtering in Google Desktop.
   Desktop search is fast, but looking through the results is slow. I want to sort them by file extension, size, etc. I want to be able to only search file names, rather than always getting results from file contents. Sometimes old crappy windows search is actually faster to use, becuase I can sort the results.

2) Personalized homepage as a seperate page.
   I don't want to see it every time I search. I just want to visit it sometimes to check lots of news sources quickly. I started off using Google Personalized Home, but found it so annoying that I use My Yahoo now instead. I don't like the model of Google Reader much either. A stand-alone page ala My Yahoo is perfect.

3) Update Picasa
   Picasa is not a bad app, but it still has hordes of usability issues that really should have been fixed long ago. Transfereing a group of folders from one collection to another, you still have to do it one by one. That's just unacceptable.

Michael White [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1. AIM integration in Google Talk.
2. Sync Google Calendar with PDAs.
3. Linux versions of Google Talk and Google Earth.

mcummins [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Actually, scrap my last three.
Top priority has got to be "Did you mean" for GMail search.

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

1. Combine Blogger with Google Pages to make a content managemnet system (something like WordPress).
2. Improve the interface of Google Analytics (MeasureMap will solve this I think).
3. Quicker support for more languages on all products. Feature sets should not differ between langauges months after first release.

Travis Harris [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Good call.... gmail spell checking is especially important for us copywriting challanged (is this acceptable usage of the word copywrite)

alek [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

MJ Rich asked if Philipp could "pressure" Google into making any of these happen. Probably not directly ... but Blogoscoped is a top-notch blog on Google stuff ... so the big "G" almost certainly takes a look at what is being discussed (plus I'm sure MSN, Yahoo, and others) and there's some good customer feedback in thsi thread.

So I'd suggest indirectly that the answer to that question is YES!

LM [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1. Flickr.
2. Closer integration between mail, calender, etc and Desktop widgets.
3. An equivalent of Windows Live Favorites

and reaching...

4. GDrive.

LM [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

oh yeah,

And Google Local for countries outside of USA.

Rich Hodge [PersonRank 6]

18 years ago #

A way to get your site re-included if you don't know why it was banned – perhaps a pay for re-inclusion review.

/been waiting 6 months for my RR to be answered.

Aziz Ashofte [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

1. GCalendar support for other calendars like Jalali or Hebrew.
2. Better integration of Blogger,Orkut and Writely. they are great applications but I prefer to have a consistent UI all over the google products like the 4 magnificent (I mean Gmail, GCalendar, GReader and GPages)
3. Having a Centralized page for all the services, something like my.google.com
4. Detail Maps for other countries.
5. SMS Services for all the world, not only US!
6. Enhancing blogger features!

18 years ago #

LM I think Flickr is a bit "reaching" to be honest! Yahoo wont give it up will they.

Kaif [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1) Linux versions of apps (especially Picasa)

2) More improvements to make more "social" services. (Make bookmarks like del.icio.us, make a flikr like service for Picasa, bring blogger out of the stone ages).

3) gDrive, where we can do whatever we like with it (maybe even host wesites! although that seems unlikely)

I'm NOT going to request Google OS simply because I like th fact that all of their services are web-based, making them cross platform (apart from the apps of course, but they are trying I guess).

Tom Parker [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

More exposure for Google Talk (decent MSN support?)
GMail out of beta open for public... More exposure

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

1.An ecosystem of ways for users to make money, not just Adsense. Google Base, and Google Video seems to be going in this direction.

2. Simple Platform services that can use google's system to deploy applications on other websites- and where possible have a tie in with my number one request (ways to make money).

3. More Q&A results, and more intelligent understanding of questions in Google search, including complex questions.

Well, Gdrive too, but I already know that's planned.

or [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Integration, integration among all google's online and desktop applications – I assume that's planned too.

LB [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Search results in RSS or Atom format (not just in blog search – in all searches).

Amit [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

GBrowser
GDrive
Google OS

Donnie Jeter [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

How about Google Sponsored wifi in all of the major cities?

Tommy S [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

1) Google Personal Finance Tool (that accepts .csv's from all major financial institutions)

2) Google Personal Finance Tool

3) Google Personal Finance Tool

Alex [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Integration of Gcal, Gmail, and Greader. Above mentioned ajax tabs would be a start. I'd like to be able to work with all at once.

Also, ability to check otuside Pop3 mail in Gmail. This would be huge.

Jeremy Mikkola [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1) video and file sharing on gTalk and rich text/links
2) better Google local (more res in rural areas, click the find address, knows how do read intersections)
3) A file tagging software for your HDD; something like Google desktop + Picasa

Stephen Machet [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1) To add external pop3 email downloads in Gmail (ie I can check emails sent to my ISP email account)
2) To link Google AdSense with AdWords so that I can generate revenue and direct it back into advertising campaigns. (ie If I earn $10 in AdSense I can send $2 back into Google to advertise my site). This would require Adsense and Adwords accounts to be linked via a Google Account.
3) Extend Google Local/Maps to other cities such as Melbourne & Sydney, Australia

Minimum [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

1. ability to use gmail interface and options on your domain email
2. Import function for Calendar and Contacts in Gmail from Outlook
3. Mobile access to Calendar

Alex [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Also, google tasks. Integrated of course with gcal and gmail.

Jim [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Follow up beyond the beta stage and continually improve apps and services rather than just leave them half-done.

Ravi [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1. All the google apps for linux
2. Light weight version of google desktop

Peter Murphy [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1. Notes for gmail, so I can add general notes for myself and be able to tag and search them. Be able to add them easily from mobile devices. If they had time info then they should also appear in calendar.
2. Most recently used labels, instead of all labels in gmail. My labels list is getting far too long. Label grouping?
3. Update google earth to show national parks, then national forests, state parks etc at hires.

Support Freedom! [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

What else? Do NO Evil: Stop censoring the internet for the butchers in Beijing.

Even better: Do Some GOOD: for all government censored sites, include a link to a cached version, or have a link to access the page via proxy servers or other means. If Beijing won't accept it, leave and pressure fellow tech companies to do the same.

'Do No Evil' implies simply not doing bad things. Could even be doing nothing, and doesn't imply creating good things. 'Do Some Good' implies active efforts to improve the lives and freeedom of others. It's a step higher on the ethics scale.

Google, Yahoo, and other censored search engines offer the Chinese people nothing new--just the same censored results as offered at the all-Chinese search engines. Why be party to the crime against humanity of censoring the truth just to protect a dictatorship that maintains it's grip on power primarily by that very same censorship?

Freedom: should be a feature, not a problem!

Ashman [PersonRank 4]

18 years ago #

Google OS for life.

Suresh S [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Free Web Hosting with SSI Support in googlepages.com

Juan [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

I want the title of post in google groups in the page title, I can´t believe they don´t put it.

AJ [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Stop collecting my personal information! Let me use the services in peace!

crwth [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Desktop/palmtop versions/modes of apps like Gmail and Calendar. With the option to store some data (last two weeks of mail, last month) or all data for off-line access.

More expert settings: Ability to filter on arbitrary headers in Gmail. Manual tunability of spam filter. Searching on regular expressions.

Broader and earlier application support for other operating systems (particularly OS X).

David C [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Well ... so many to list ...

(1) Gmail: More flexible control over pop3 downloading, so that we can download messages in inbox only, or having certain label only ... Also allow me to pop3 download same messages from more than 2 machines ...

(2) Blogger & Gpages (and even Writely): Consider intergrate them as one publishing platform ... Blogger needs category and others (photoblog? album?) ... Gpages is useful, but is too weak now ... By the way, why is Blogger still using its own user account system?

(3) Gcalendar: Task or to-do list. Also consider add in notepad or memo functionality ... Actually, they are kind of similar ...

WH [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

1. Google Talk: offline messaging
2. Google Talk: file transfer
3. Google Reader: in my opinion, its UI design is the worst in all the Google services. It looks lame, and wastes too much screen estate ...

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

3) I'd like Google Talk to be compatible with MSN, Yahoo and AIM.

2) I want Gmail / Google Mail for my domain (I know that's kind of available, but I don't have it... yet!) or at least the ability to add additional "From" addresses that don't send the X-Sender header with the email.

1) Better indexing in general, including, amongst other things:

- Elimination of "Supplemental Result" pages that no longer exist (and haven't done for years) and / or the ability to explicitly and automatically tell Google which of your own files you wish to add to / remove from the index (using the Google Sitemaps file, for example).

- Removal / exclusion of URLs that have been indexed but not crawled (due to the robots.txt file) – i.e. http://www.google.com/search?q=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.outer-court.com%2Fplease-ignore-me%2F

(And, if I had four wishes, I'd want them to improve Blogger so that it allows posting under categories, feeds for comments, more flexible date/time formats, merging several blogs into one feed, better XHTML support when formatting posts and comments, etc...)

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

1. I want Search History to be integrated into everything (for example, blog search).
2. I want higher resolution base maps for Google Maps, more imagery of everywhere, and road maps for everywhere.
2b. Better imagery of Trinidad.
3. Release the Google translator which can convert between any two supported languages. Most importantly, integrate it into everything from the get go. There should be the option of having it seamlessly translate all your IMs, e-mails, web searches, and clicked results from the get go.
4. A version of Google Earth that runs well on Mac would be great. Get rid of the memory leaks or whatever that causes it to crawl after a few minutes and definitely make the interface look more native.
4b. Textured buildings in Google Earth. After I take a few more classes, hire me I'll come work on creating high resolution models of cities based on recorded video :)
5. Make everything faster. I'm mainly bothered by logging in to Search History. Since I have Google set to showing 100 results per page, and this is used for Search History as well, my search history takes at least 10 seconds to load.
6. Index freenet and provide a special freenet search.

Andrew Hitchcock [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

7. Bring back the local network footage in Google Video. Also, make it easier to search through the closed captioning, like it used to do.

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I hope this 100-posts thread will help Google engineers to developp more easily and quickly new devices, appliances, functions, ...

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

I second "more AdSense choices." Why not give us the option to play around with fonts and font sizes? Why not create much more variety in layout? I believe if the ads always look the same (basically, Google text ads always do, except for colors), people become blind to them.
Also, I'd like to be able to turn off animation in all graphic ads.

David Saunders [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Calendar

* Calendar sync with PALM, Pocket PC, PDA
* Mobile Calendar
* Show Google Calendar within blogs

*** Resend me an invite to G Wallet

Alexandre Rocha Lima e Marcondes [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

* Google Bookmarks could be able to synchronize with Firefox bookmarks
* Google Calendar could synchronize with PalmOS devices
* A new service called Google Contacts that would provide LDAP contact databases to users as well as provide contacts to Google Calendar, Google Talk and GMail (federated contacts database with PalmOS synchronization)
* Google Pages with (Media)wiki support
* Google talk interaction with ICQ, AIM, Yahoo!Messager and MSN Messager

Bluehoo [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

1. Be able to paste/insert pictures into Gmail messages.
2. Google Desktop tracks deletions and movement of files, not just additions.
3. Google Calendar as a module in Google personalized home page.
4. Be able to organize feeds in Google Reader by the feed label/folder (like Bloglines)

Ilya Kniazeu [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1) Functional Google Account with tight integration of all services:
I just want nice control panel for the things I use at Google and transparent navigation through all the services. Tight integration among services like Google Analytics + Maps would be highly appreciated

2) Faster expansion and more attention from Google to other countries and languages.
I live in Belarus – http://maps.google.com/maps?q=belarus – and I will be happy to have detailed maps or satellite photos of it on Google Maps or local news edition on Google News. Now it doesn't show even the capital on Maps.

3) Google Whois
It would be an easy and useful addition to Google Search if it detects IP address in search string and shows nicely parsed whois information for it. It could be integrated with Google Maps, after all Google should have a lot of geoip information.

Xian Luac [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

This public request for Google features made me think to do something similar for Google.org:

WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE GOOGLE.ORG (http://www.google.org) TO DO?

you are welcome to answer here:
http://dadadev.blogspot.com/2006/04/what-do-you-expect-from-googleorg.html

Lohengrin [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1. Google Contacts fully integrated with gmail/calendar/gtalk/maps/other services
* Complete info on contacts, bit like Plaxo

2. Google Earth more 3D content, and overlays of historical events

3. Google Timeline. All of the events EVER in a useful Web 2.0 AJAX Timeline, integrated with Maps. Fetches info from everywhere and all very visual.

Chris C. [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

...I changed my mind:

1. Send from multiple confirmed "From" addresses in Gmail without "sent on behalf of" revealing core Gmail username and thus subjecting it to spammers, etc.
2. Send from multiple confirmed "From" addresses in Gmail without "sent on behalf of" revealing core Gmail username and thus subjecting it to spammers, etc.
3. Send from multiple confirmed "From" addresses in Gmail without "sent on behalf of" revealing core Gmail username and thus subjecting it to spammers, etc.

Please please please, Google!!

18 years ago #

Forget all my previous requests. If Google do one thing it should be to change this page:

https://www.google.com/accounts/ManageAccount

It is ugly beyond belief.

Joey J. [PersonRank 5]

18 years ago #

I had no clue what to say, but an awesomer translator is overdue. Too many websites are pwning Google in the translation department – we can't let that happen!

Indian Geek [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1) IMAP for Gmail
2) GDrive

3) An option to integrate Google services by our choice like a menu where you can select what you want...

glebarr [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

add bi-weekly events to calendar not just weekly and monthly....

nsnboy [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1.GDrive
2.mobile mail

LCaution [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Two new search features:

1) expanded boolean logic: word/words/phrase within n words of, n sentences of, n
   paragraphs of, etc.

2) much more flexible dates – at least "within 1 week', "within 1 month"; ideally a specific date range

Mike Seyfang [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

1. Calendar – leadership on how to set up 'gig guides' that can be mashed up by 'artist' or 'location' (geotagging of location would be way cool)

2. Clever PDA integration – in the case of Microsoft clients find a way to emulate active sync from all the relevant google bits (mail, calendar, contacts...)

3. Keep them API's and mashup communities coming!

gilmae [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

1) Calendar reminders via Google Desktop, gTalk, and mobile phones – including non-US providers.

2) gTalk Integration with AIM/MSN/Yahoo!/ICQ is already available but it is a pain, having to set it up using third-party jabber clients. Support via the google jabber server and gTalk client please.

3) Better maps and Local support for the rest of the world

Suresh S [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

Google Browser ,OS,Goopad,Gowpad,

zouyc [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

1) Blogger Categories
2) GDrive

Duke Desmo [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Personalized home page should have an option to stop logging out automatically when logging into gMail accounts

LM [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

5. GScratch Pad. That auto-syncs with the GDS widget.

LM [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

sorry.

6. Froogle for Australia.

Google Request [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Similar to "dictionary:" thesaurus:

Lyncirium [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1) GDrive!!
2) Notes and ToDo-List for Gmail
3) Gmail, Calendar, ... for Opera
4) Local (!!) and Books for Germany
5) ICQ and MSN Chat support
6) Pictures in Mails
7) Conversation Management
8) Edit rows on Personal Homepage

LK [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Google Talk rocks, but it's must have needed feature has to be multiple user support. I want me and six of my friends to all be 'talkin' at the same time. Course this will kill Teamspeak/Ventrillo support, but hey Onward with the Google Revolution!

Next the Google Browser!
Next after that....the Goos (pronounced Goose) or Google Operationg System :)

Viva la Google!

bd_ [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

While GDrive and the like would be cool, I'd like to see Google put their weight behind some existing, currently unpopular technologies. Currently a lot of the social blogging sites are rather closed; friending someone on eg Livejournal won't be seamless unless you're on Livejournal too.

If google got behind such things as openid, and perhaps personal planet-style aggregators for Blogger and similar sites, it would help counter this closed community effect.

On an unrelated note, I'd also like to see what this writely thing is all about :)

jb [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

Ability to search the web using perl compatible regular expressions.

Pavan Kumar [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Hi, I have the following suggestions

1. why is there no shortcut key for delete. I feel that is important. (When google has included the 'delete' button anyway, it is not against the philosophy of 'never delete anything').

2. a small calendar/timetable application conviniently placed in the front page would be an amazing addon!

thanks.

Logan [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

be able to attach "notes" to emails (eg. "this bill paid online May 1, 2006"). something like that would be great.

brent m [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

I would like the contact list in gmail to have more default fields such as First name and Last name instead of just name, so I can sort by last name or whatever else. Also I would like dates such as birthdays and anniversaries to be stored for each contact. And those dates should be able to be imported as events for google calendar.

brent m [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

The public homepage is a good idea. Even better, something to compete with MySpace. With less ads. That would probably also make Google Talk a lot more popular.

Another idea I had was for google to overthrow the government and slowly take over the world. I would trust google more than our current system. But I have a hunch google has already been planning this for a while

gatomalo [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

i use a bunch of different google products as most do....but i would love to see a better google personalized front page....better than gtalkr...that has chating...emailing...notebookfunction...calander..google reader....all in one place. I mean i would love to listen to a podcast with reader...while beeing in the notebook and chating with my friends. more intergration damnit!! I would like that a ton.

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

<< I mean i would love to listen to a podcast with reader...while beeing in the notebook and chating with my friends.

Who stops you do that?

onesojourner [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

how about a way to add events to google calendar via text message? ex 10am doctor appointment on june 29. sent to a google calendar number auto adds the event. that will allow almost everyone to have a truely mobile calendar.

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

onesojourner – they've done it already (US users only though):

How do I create an event via SMS?
http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?answer=37529

Can I check my calendar information via SMS?
http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?answer=37228

thelearner [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

Blogger categories
Blogger site stats in the dashboard (thru analytics)
Calendar _in built_ into gmail (in the settings)
Reader has categorywise reading

James Bubeck [PersonRank 0]

18 years ago #

-regex web search
-goobuntu

Gerard [PersonRank 1]

18 years ago #

1) A sort of online Outlook/Palm Desktop with todo's, memo's, etc. I mean an extension the the already existing Google Calender.
2) A sync plugin which synchronizes "everything" with your palm/pocketpc/outlook etc. I think Companionlink is very nice, but it only syncs. the calender, and not the addresses. And it can only be run on Windows, and you have to pay for it ;)

dpneal [PersonRank 10]

18 years ago #

>1)...
Maybe they shoudl extent google notebook into calendar gerard?

GOOG-GOOG-GOOG! [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

1) Better extensions of widgets for Google Toolbar buttons, Desktop widgets, and IG content that better integrate Google products (Reader, Calendar, Pages, Stocks, and so on). There are some out there – but they don't work ideally & and many are by 3rd party providers.

2) Google Finance should have better personalization – so you can not just save a portfolio, but save & track holdings. Then widgets for this should be extended to IG, Toolbar, and Desktop also.

3) Bookmarks should allow sharing of certain labels, and searching across other users labels to better compete with del.icio.us.

4) User profiles – we have user accounts, so why not expand the user profile concept? Something that is optional, but why not allow friend's lists & personalized content a'la myspace?

5) Google calendar. Integrate contacts with gmail contacts for inviting people.

6) Gmail. Elaborate on more complex filtering rules.

7) Reader. Put in a real scrollbar for left-hand items, instead of that weird DHTML one. Allow browsing of popular feeds & others shared content.

8) Really cool idea! I'd love to see Google Account manage all my website logins from Google toolbar... much as Windows does now – but so I could take it to any computer I login into Google with.

GOOG-GOOG-GOOG! [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

I'd also like to see a Google Feedback page.... much like this post.

Where users could submit suggestions – and rate eachothers.... I bet this would go a long way to help Google engineers & strategists accelerate their improvements!

Why the heck don't these big firms Yahoo, MSN, Google ever have feedback apps? crazy....

Shanberg [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

-Search Frequently Viewed Sites-

Sohil [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here] Shanberg, Search History

https : //
www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?hl=en&cont
inue=http://www.google.com/searchhistory/%3Fhl%3D
en%26zx%3DwelKWAOWqSk&nui=1&ltmpl=reauth&s
ervice=hist&srr=1

Chandram [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

You guys really need to implement something so that we can signal that an event was closed / finished in Google calendar,

its painful and frustrating that you cant tick off events like a normal diary. Changing the color is irritating .. a standard tick mark or a cross or something which draws an intersection on it is the best. worst case just use a simple tick box//

Chand

AlexW [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Gmail:
- "Move to Sent Mail", manually and by filter (I want to collect my sent mail from different accounts by BCCing it to Gmail). Can move to inbox, but not to sent mail.
- check outside POP3 accounts
- no "on behalf of"
- IMAP

Google Calendar:
full SyncML and Outlook/Palm Sync support.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

And an other that I needed yesterday:

Possibility to insert pictures into the mail text.
Had to do it outlook first, forward then to gmail...

Andrew [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Please add a dictionary seach button for the goolgle toolbar for firefox.

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!