"wuuuu"!
new design
new domain name
I can't believe it!

sorry if this thread is a duplicate

Amagi Tremper [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

well i think its not perfect yet.. the new design :/
maybe too colorless, and white grey white is well maybe a bit unorganic.

we'll see how it developes^^

David Hetfield [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The logo has changed too.

If you ask me, it's much better than the previous attempt to redesign the forum :)

Luka [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Very nice design! I prefer this one than the older!

Martin Porcheron [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Looks good (and I have a little icon now :))

Inferno [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Awesome Design... Very Google type... Simple but beautiful...

Roger Browne [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

So refreshing to have the content as the dominant feature.

All I would change is to put the logo on the left, so that I can see it when I'm browsing at 800 pixels wide.

stefan2904 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

yea, nice.
the grey-bar on the right side instead of the left is very cunfusing.

Daniel Garcia [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Cool shadows 2.0

Above 9 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged,

Ionut Alex. Chitu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"Above 9 forum comments are from before this was blogged."

Huh?

17 years ago #

Comments (9+1)

Realy nice feature :p

Philipp Lenssen [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

(Ionut: Sorry, first bug, even though I thought I had that fixed... above message you're seeing displayed before the post went live, when it was still in draft mode.... it should only display when it's live!)

17 years ago #

Aah, much improved interaction between the blog and the forum.

I do wonder, though, why you didn't move the blog to google.blogoscoped.com, to leave open some future possibilities:

– yahoo.blogoscoped.com
   – msn.blogoscoped.com
   – ask.blogoscoped.com ...

Tony Ruscoe [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Great to finally see this live; both the domain AND the design!

Just a small point to add. I think you really need a footer. When I loaded this page (below) I thought my browser was hanging because I forgot I was viewing the post page rather than the home page:

http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2007-07-03-n17.html

17 years ago #

In your blog post you asked about the ads. I'm seeing rounded corners and real ads from the UK. The white on grey is not the most readable, but it doesn't matter too much.

There's a momentary "blink" before the ad appears and changes its background colour. If I scroll to the bottom, then scroll back up, the scrolling is a bit jerky (I guess because there's more javascript being executed than there was using the old design).

Nothing that I'd count as a problem though.

Search-Engines-Web.com [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[Moved – Tony]

blog.outer-court – had a PR 7

blog.outer-court/forum – had a similar high PR

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/ – PR 0

http://blogoscoped.com/ – PR 2

The www. redirects to blogoscoped

Typing the old address also redirects

Also, unless the hundreds of old Backlinks are changed from the many high TrustRanked sites – it may possibly affect the rankings.

The site and forum comes up for a variety of search terms in Google from Years of linked to posts

Luca [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

i like so much the "more" link in "google-style.." ;-)

17 years ago #

Lots of great helpful comments so far. I'm taking notes :)

Archive page just got fixed: http://blogoscoped.com/calendar/

17 years ago #

forum:
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/356/screen2630tq8.jpg

blog:
http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/4048/screen2631kb2.jpg

Ludwik Trammer [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm very happy about the changes. The design looks light and professional, but still remains friendly. I never remembered the old domain, so I love the new one. Rounded corners ads in the forum look great, traditional public service ads on the home page not so much (maybe you should disable those?).

There is one issue I think you should think about. I just love pretty URL formats (you know, those blogoscoped.com/archive/post-title.html kind), and Google really loves me for using them.

17 years ago #

Ah, thanks. I'm now seeing the first real ads too...

Niraj Sanghvi [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Overall, the new design looks great! Though it's going to take some getting used to content being on the otherside of the colored column now :)

As for the additional navigation, what about giving it a smaller font or putting the "Blog | Forum" option in a bigger font on the line above the rest of the navigation? At the moment it's hard to tell what the "More>>" button is going to do if you haven't been here before.

As for pagerank and overall ranking, I used 301's when switching domains for my blog which was at pagerank 4 or 5 at the time. Within a week or so the new stories I was posting started appearing with good ranking in search results, and it may have been a week or two more before older stories from before the merge started ranking well for the new URL. But as of today my new blog domain shows Pagerank 0 in the Google Toolbar while the old domain still has a 4 even though it doesn't have much of any content on it.

17 years ago #

Looks like an encoding error for the apostrophe in the archive. See the last entry for June 1st:
http://blogoscoped.com/calendar/2007-06

17 years ago #

I'm viewing it via my phone and it's working pretty well. (Tough i'm getting some troubles with it. I'll email you the problems Phillpp)

17 years ago #

With regards to moving domains, I moved one of my sites in January from http://ruscoe.net/genealogy to http://ruscoe.name and that's now showing a PR4 in Google Toolbar (which is what it used to be). That uses 301 redirects and, until very recently, still had content indexed in Google under [site:ruscoe.net/genealogy]. I also "told" Google Webmaster Tools about the change and submitted a sitemap.xml to help things along.

micha [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Looks great. superb work :-)

Barry Schwartz [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

Love the new design, but your content rules.

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Great!

Congrats with the new design. As I am reading most of this blog via Google Reader, I didn't notice at first... I just came along for posting something & then I saw the restyling ;-)

[Updated name from "Great! to "Art-One" – Tony]

Art-One [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Great! was me of course... I even forgot how to post a comment right :<

TOMHTML [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

"Comments (9+20)" > I love it, great idea :-D

Henning [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

Great redesign, though the label on the "Search" button is still too small...

Aaron Liang [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Nice new design! Hopefully it can improve the efficiency of our translation as well. :P

Jordan McCollum [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Congrats on the move & the new layout! I did this on my personal site in March; it was great!

Ritalin [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Hi!
Speak infinity does not exist. The Internet is and there is an infinity of the information. Thanks.
Ritalin.

Ken Wong [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

I love the new layouts.

Great job!

Jon Henshaw [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

This is great! Love the new design and domain. Very nice!

17 years ago #

I noticed a bug. The more menu link isn't shown on Google Blogs page.

Dean [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Congratulations on the move Philipp. That must have been a tough decision to make. I'm diggen the simpleness of blog | forum. How many blogs of this scale can still remain this simple.

Missy [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

Nicely done, JP! Congrats on the new digs!

17 years ago #

> The more menu link isn't shown
> on Google Blogs page.

Right, on that page the menu is supposed to be expanded... I fixed this now (so the more link won't show on that page)...

Garett Rogers [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Wow, great stuff Philipp!
The new design reflects the overall quality of your blog.

17 years ago #

> Looks like an encoding error for the apostrophe in
> the archive. See the last entry for June 1st:

Fixed now, thanks!

Mrrix32 [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Love the layout.
The before and after blog post comments on one page is a brilliant idea.
On a 800*600 display (as on my Laptop) the right of the page is off the screen, which makes it look like the site's called "Google Blogo" but no other content is off the side, so I don't mind.
I think Comments should show the total (eg. 20 not 9+11)
When I first found the site when I was at school I typed in blogoscoped.com, now I'm going to keep typing in the old address, although as I'm at home I just click my bookmarks!

Clement Donzel [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Good refresh! And particularly interesting topic about changing a domain name!

Good luck with the new version :-)

dave [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

It retains the nice simple quality of the previous design, the navigation is an improvement, but it's a little bit too gray for my taste – it needs a couple more splashes of colour somehow.

Andrew Carr [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Philipp,

The only thing I'd really suggest is that you make the blog link on the blog page (and likewise forum link on the forum page) unclickable. I thought it was an available link.

It's always a usability guide I've followed when designing websites.

Love the new look btw.

Nathan Weinberg [PersonRank 8]

17 years ago #

Wow, great new design. Congratulations on what I'm sure was a lot of work and stress. I'd love to hear more about what went into the new design and the work it took to put it together.

Tiago Serafim [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

Hey,

Congrats Philipp! Nice design and an even nicer domain name!

I've been visiting your blog since you had the 1st gen design and all I can say is that your blog is much better than yesterday and hopefully not so good as it'll be tomorrow.

Cheers,

Libran Lover [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

Here's my own experience changing my blog URL with an auto-forward option: I changed from libranlover.blogspot.com to blog.libranlover.net. Blogger continued to host my blog, I only changed the domain name. Blogger auto-forwards from the old URL to the new URL. The change in Google search results was almost imperceptible. For the first few days after I changed my URL, the old URL continued to appear in search results. Pretty quickly though, the new URL started to appear for the same keyword searches. I have not come across anything to suggest that I have gone down in search results or rankings.

Good luck with your new domain, auto-forwarding and page rank. I have updated my feed reader.

17 years ago #

Nathan, the first try at a redesign a couple of months ago was universally hated so I quickly removed it – that failed one was based on a computer advertisement from the 70s I really loved. This time I didn't approach it from a layout point of view, but simply felt the need to clean up the blog, and also give the forum more weight, and make the design better represent what the blog and forum already is, and I figured the domain change is a good opportunity. I then played around with variants in Corel PhotoPaint. The first variant included the sidebar to the left side, but I don't really like navigation, and I love those simple sites that just let you read.

So then the current design was what I'd usually use as a first framework in Corel, but then I already liked the simplicity of it, and didn't add too much stuff to it after all. The logo is brighter than before because that contrasts well with the gray I think, or else it would be too little color (and there may still be too little color, I'll have to think about that...). I started out with the "80%" side-line in the side bar as text only, but then the lines were too strict, and I needed something to break the lines, so I added a 80% circle. But this reminded me too much of the web-2.0 circles that are too common now, and I then added the current "80%". This breaks the horizontal/ vertical-only lines and rectangles and also helps make the design look more fun, because it's on the edge of looking too serious I think.

After the design file was more or less done, I went over to implement this in the stylesheets, by copying certain parts from the image file and recreating other parts in pure CSS (for instance, the right gray bar was actually a very thick border in one stage of the CSS writing, which works too, though it's now an image). I have a sandbox.outer-court.com where I hooked this up to a mirrored database with samples so that I can test without affecting the rest of the site. Well, at that point I invited beta testers like Tony, Colin, Ionut and Ludwik and then worked with their feedback to continue the design.

http://blogoscoped.com/files/google-blogoscoped-old-design-2007.png
http://blogoscoped.com/files/blog-design-variant.png
http://blogoscoped.com/files/contains-80-variant.png
http://blogoscoped.com/files/blog-design-2007-editor.png

Ryan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

looks good, but where's the iphone version? hehe

17 years ago #

Funny you ask aboyut the iPhone version, Ryan ... I was trying out an N800 internet tablet just as the new design went live. For an hour, I assumed that Philipp was sending a different style to mobile devices.

17 years ago #

One small usability issue I've just noticed:

I used to be able to tell which Forum threads I'd already read because the colour of the link to the latest comment changed depending on whether the link was visited or not. That's not possible anymore. (If the colours are different, perhaps they're not sufficiently different.)

This is an essential feature for someone like me who reads every single thread and likes to just pickup where I left off...

17 years ago #

BTW, the blog and forum is so much easier to read on my Nokia N73 because I don't have to scroll the screen right to avoid the menu all the time. I'm loving the new layout even more now!

17 years ago #

Ooops. You're right Tony, I removed that in the CSS but this is a good reminder why it's important. I'll bring that back (and I'm also still thinking about the footer issue, because I agree something needs to say "end of page"... and ideally, it should be something useful too...).

17 years ago #

Hi Philipp, Seeing as Blogoscoped is used a reference for Google information on many websites, maybe implementing a trackback system would be a good idea? It would be quite interesting to see just how many people link to Blogoscoped articles.

Rohit Srivastwa [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Congrats Philipp
The new design is pretty good.

So finally you were able to get the domain from so called brokers;)
You didn't hinted the amount though

There's one strange issue with this new design on my HP iPaq
the blog/forum entry is getting displayed one word per line.

example:
Tuesday,
July

New
Design
and
Move
to
Blogoscoped.com

There’s
a
little
surprise

the footer (This site unofficially covers Google™ and...) is showing properly

Not sure what the problem is but I'm sure you'll have a look at this
my resolution is 400x400 and browser is default IE of iPaq

Renê Fraga [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Amazing!!

Congratulations Philipp Lenssen!! :)

Renê Fraga
GoogleDiscovery.com

17 years ago #

Philipp also has http://www.googleblogoscoped.com/ , which redirects to this site.

17 years ago #

Yes, I'm in the process of transferring that from Danny, who was nice enough to catch it for me :)

17 years ago #

> maybe implementing a trackback system
> would be a good idea?

Does anyone know if Google's "Links to this post" feature is available for any site, not just Blogspot?

E.g. as shown here:
http://google-health-ads.blogspot.com/2007/06/does-negative-press-make-you-sicko.html

17 years ago #

<< Does anyone know if Google's "Links to this post" feature is available for any site, not just Blogspot? >>

Since it's just based on the Google Blog Search link: operator, could you use Google’s client-side feed API, like you do on your new Chinese page?

I guess this is the feed you'd use (although you would obviously change the URL to make sure you only display links back to each individual post):

http://www.google.com/blogsearch_feeds?q=link:blogoscoped.com&ie=utf-8&num=10&output=atom

17 years ago #

Yeah, you're right!

Hong Xiaowan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Nice. I think google.blogoscoped.com is better, fit your blog title. blogoscoped.com can be used as a entrance for Blogs. For example, yahoo.blogoscoped.com, msn.blogoscoped.com ect. Or food.blogoscoped.com, fish.blogoscoped.com. For high-end blognetworks.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Nice new design, Philipp. Here's my two pence on some criticisms and potential improvements to the site...

** I think the "more >>" navigation will get on my nerves after a few visits to the site. I use the "Google's Blogs" link a lot (almost as much as the Forum), and just the fact that there's an extra click involved is slightly off-putting. Maybe you could do away with the more link, but give the "Blog" and "Forum" even more emphasis.

** It would be good to have a current-page navigation, so it's clearer which area you're on.

** I would use the orange RSS icon on the sidebar, instead of having the "Feed" link on the main navigation.

** You could also probably ditch the "Chinese" nav link, and just have it as a footnote in the sidebar – "Also available in Chinese".

** Add a label to the search bar "Search this site" – otherwise, it could just as easily be for searching the Web.

** Paginate the forum threads. Becoming slightly out-of-hand on the more popular topics.

... why does it say "Comments (9+55)" on the blog area?

17 years ago #

Mambo, there were 9 posts regarding the redesign before this entry was posted, and the other 55 comments came afterwards. This functions the same way as how Philipp used to have the "Join the ongoing discussion" links in posts.

Amagi Tremper [PersonRank 3]

17 years ago #

well.. after using the new layout a bit i have to take back my comment in the beginning, its really great. And you got a bit more.. well professional maybe.

great job.

Mambo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

<< Mambo, there were 9 posts regarding the redesign before this entry was posted, and the other 55 comments came afterwards. >>

Ahh... I see. Maybe that could be made a bit more obvious, then? Because I was trying to work that one out for a bit.

17 years ago #

You get sent to a description of what that means when you click the "(9+55)" link (http://blogoscoped.com/forum/101339.html#split). I don't know how it could be made apparent on the main page without adding a lot of text/clutter.

Colin Colehour [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Great Job on all the hard work Philipp!

When you perform a search, was it intentional that the 'more' link acts like it was clicked so it shows all of the other navigation links?

The 'Top Members' page and 'show full rankings' page have the same behavior.

I agree a footer would be a good idea to add. Maybe add the blog and forum link to the bottom of the page too. This way after reading through a long page of posts/forum messages you could easily get back to either section more quickly.

John Honeck [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I like it alot, it's not your average change for the sake of change, it's very well thought out.

17 years ago #

There's a forum link hidden under the comment box at the bottom :)

17 years ago #

> The 'Top Members' page and 'show full
> rankings' page have the same behavior.

Top Members shows the top 100 members. Full rankings shows the top 1000 members.

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Martin, Sorry I was meaning to say it had the same behavior with the 'more' link not being displayed but showing all of the navigation links as if I had clicked the 'more' link.

I stated that about the search page and wanted to point out those 2 other pages had the same behavior.

17 years ago #

Ah, I understand, sorry ><

MarkM [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

fantastic color layout. one of the best designed blogs i've ever seen.

BUT

something to fix! there's a little too much space at the left above the links (which, though it draws the eye, sadly doesn't induce the reader to actually read the text and notice there's a forum – to do that, put a background color/button behind the two links 'blog' and 'forum')

17 years ago #

Small update: now, every forum thread connected to a post will show the blogs linking to that post, inbetween the last comment and the submit form. You can see in this thread that this space is empty (at this moment), but in e.g. the following thread...

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/101183.html

... you will see a link to Valleywag below the last comment (all links are automatically polled via the Google blog search RSS/ the Google client-side RSS reader, as Tony suggested above):

So, it's basically like an automated trackback feature which is integrated into the comments. We'll see if those links will include many auto-created spam blogs in the future...

17 years ago #

Pagination is needed in the forum/comments now. Blogoscoped is getting to the stage where pages are becoming very long. Especially threads such as this one where a lot of the replies are of a decent length (not just "Cool", for example).

17 years ago #

That's pretty cool Philipp. You might want to consider adding rel="nofollow" to the links though.

17 years ago #

> involved is slightly off-putting. Maybe you
> could do away with the more link, but give
> the "Blog" and "Forum" even more emphasis.

I'll certainly consider this over the coming days. I also click on the Google's Blogs link everyday, so I know what you mean.

As for an indicator where you're at (making the top links unlinked when you're already in the blog/ forum), I'll think about something... I agree it's a bit unclean to have something link to itself...

> Ahh... I see. Maybe that could be made a
> bit more obvious, then? Because I was trying
> to work that one out for a bit.

Yes, this is certainly slightly confusing. I mean the "ongoing comments" was also confusing, but I still hope to perhaps find a way to make it even more obvious than now.

Colin:
> When you perform a search, was it intentional
> that the 'more' link acts like it was clicked
> so it shows all of the other navigation links?

Hmmm. You're right, that's probably weird. The explanation of why that happens is that the search is also triggered from the Archive's tag cloud, and on the Archive page (like all other "more" links) the "more" menu is expanded...

17 years ago #

> Pagination is needed in the forum/comments now.

There is something here which starts to collapses the middle of a thread when there over 100 comments. For instance, here:

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/26819.html

But the 100 is not a fixed number, I can lower it if needed in the future...

17 years ago #

Wow, I've never seen that. It's actually pretty cool way of doing it.

17 years ago #

<< ... it's basically like an automated trackback feature which is integrated into the comments ... >>

Having it in the forum is exactly the right place to have it! It will be interesting to see how useful it is.

<< You might want to consider adding rel="nofollow" to the links though. >>

Not needed since they're written using JavaScript.

17 years ago #

>>>> You might want to consider adding rel="nofollow" to the links though. >>
>>Not needed since they're written using JavaScript.

Suppose, didn't think about that (I was actually looking at the JS code when I made that comment aswell). I must be tired. :(

Victor [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

I agree with all the people above who recommend "google.blogoscoped.com". I don't know much about setting up domains, but since you own "blogoscoped.com", you can easily have "google.blogoscoped.com" redirect to "blogoscoped.com" right? I understand "google.blogoscoped.com" is too long, so a redirect would be perfect. It would also be nice for it to parallel "google.blogoscoped.cn".

17 years ago #

FWIW, I don't think google.blogoscoped.com is necessary. Afterall, what would you put at www.blogoscoped.com? If anything, the Chinese version should change to blogoscoped.cn...

George R [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

In Mozilla running in a window narrower than full screen the left side of the text is not accessible with the scroll bar. The scroll bar is there but can not go far enough to the left. You can access the text by widening the window.
Internet Explorer does not exhibit this.

I checked your old format from the google cache.
It has a similar problem, affecting the left sidebar.

Mozilla 1.6 on Windows xp

Rich Hodge [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Fantastic!

How about with the “Comments (4+5)” have the 4 be a link to the top of the forum page without the #split perhaps?

17 years ago #

Yes Victor, google.blogoscoped.com could be setup easy, as redirect to blogoscoped.com. Maybe in the future I will set that up...

Veky [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

This blog just lost a bit of personality. :-P
It's nice, it's just more ordinary and like "every" other quasi-modern site. Doesn't matter much, I'll just read it via Google Reader more often, I guess. :-)

17 years ago #

> How about with the “Comments (4+5)”
> have the 4 be a link to the top of the forum
> page without the #split perhaps?

That would pretty much irritate me, I think. I've never paid any attentention to which part of a link I click on and If I had to start doing this I would quickly be put off.

Ricardo Sanchez [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

Disclosure: I have not read all the comments, there are too many. Maybe this opinion has been already expressend.

I love the new color scheme, new logo and layout, but I would definitively put the grey bar, as well as the logo, at the left side of the page, rather than at the right one.

Clicking on the logo located at the top-right corner in order to go to the blog's homepage seems unnatural to me (opposod to clicking in the top-left corner).

Are there any other relevant websites which have a top-right based layout, rather than a top-left one? I can only think of top-left ones, such as Slashdot, Digg, etc.

17 years ago #

> This blog just lost a bit of personality. :-P

Certainly food for thought (you're the second person to say something like this). Perhaps I can find a way to integrate some warmer colors somewhere, or something else which is a bit less elegant/ clean...

17 years ago #

I'm proably a bit biased (most of my websites have navigation on the right). But I find that its easier for the user and I'm going to steal the excuse that phpBB gave for making the move to using the right side of a post for user details.

By putting the content first, it means the user focuses more on the content (you read left to right naturally).

Pau Tomàs [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I like the new design. It will take some time for me to re-educate myself to click in the links though (it was like an automatic process)

Brian M. [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I only see your theme when I click through to make a forum post, and it looks like it's basically the same!

Patrick Sexton [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Looks great, congrats on the move and getting your domain.

Zim [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Excellent! :D
Congratulations!

pokemo [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

nice!!! :)

Matt Cutts [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I'm late to the party--congrats! It's a very clean look; I really like the white bar crossing over the gray bar and the subtle shadow effect on the white bar.

mukthar [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

COngrats Philipp, new design and new site, nice!!

mukthar [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

Hi,
   The page http://blogoscoped.com/forum/101493.html breaks in opera 9.21, the text expands over the google ads.

17 years ago #

Here is what mukthar is talking about:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1022/710406559_4d3648b5f0_o.png

All of the exclamation points make the layout think its one continuous word so it forces everything to scroll right.

elyk [PersonRank 6]

17 years ago #

Nice redesign; I like the new logo and features, although I too am a bit bothered by the movement of the grey bar from the left to the right. I know that it makes sense (you read left to right, etc), and it's probably partially that I haven't gotten used to the change yet, but I find that in general my eyes tend to naturally look slightly to right side of the screen.
Having the grey bar on the left provides a nice distinguishing mark between the desktop or screen edge and the start of your web page. Since people don't read On the right side, the scrollbar generally serves the function (with all due respect to any lefties out there who have moved their scrollbars to the left side of the screen)
As mentioned above, people read from left to right. So at a first glance, this site appears to be just text on a white background. It isn't until a second or two later that the eye reaches the right side and notices the logo and the grey bar. In fact, my first thought on loading this page today was "Is is css naked day?" (until I noticed the navigation on the right side, where of course it could not be without css unless you had changed to a tables layout). I notice this especially when I have scrolled down past the logo and ads (btw, I like the rounded look on those), all I see is black on white. Would it work to set the right hand stuff as "position:fixed" (even though IE6 doesn't support that part of the css standard) so that it shows no matter how far down the page you are?
Just my thoughts. I'm not necessarily proposing a complete return to the old positioning of the grey bar; but I think that just a little touch of color on the left hand side would greatly aid in recognition and give the site a bit more of what some would call "personality".

Reichart [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

"19% Google free" is better.

Yes, the site is drab, and this is the first time I have been here.

Stick you own pictures on the side, it will:

- give life to the site
- make you a little more famous
- make you think twice about what you post. (since, there you are, looking at yourself).

mukthar [PersonRank 7]

17 years ago #

Thanks Colin Colehour for the screenshot. This breaks in Internext Explorer also.
However, the "fit to width" button in opera makes the page render right, so there might be some workaround for this.

17 years ago #

Where are the rest of the comments
I was waiting for the pagination & suddenly i see many of the comments are gone :(

Oliver Ue. [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

Hey Philipp,

Good relaunch! I like the minimalistic approach, the design and the domain is more handy.. Great!

Keep it going.

Oliver

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]Rohit, The comments are still in the forum post, they are just hidden unless you want to see all of the comments. There is an 'Expand' link towards the top that allows you to see all of the comments on this post.

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/101339-full.html

17 years ago #

Philipp, Is it possible to show a number of how many forum posts are hidden if you see the 'Expand' link?

Example:
Some posts have been collapsed. < link >Expand< /link > to see 40 more comments.

Suresh S [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

wa wa woo wa!

Borat likes the design

Sam Davyson [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

The new design is great. The forum and the comments feel very well integrated now. I like it very much. Congrats to Philipp, Tony and everyone else that made this happen.

Pssst: you should update the Blogoscoped entry on this page http://www.outer-court.com/

Suresh S [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Nice shadow Effect. congrats Philip and others. "Grey" . when i validated your CSS using web developer tool . it shows this warning that occurs frequently.

Congratulations! No Error Found.
This document validates as CSS!

.postFooter a:visited You have no background-color set (or background-color is set to transparent) but you have set a color. Make sure that cascading of colors keeps the text reasonably legible.

17 years ago #

I would change text color in Google Ads, because white text on light gray background is barely visible...

Ricardo Sanchez [PersonRank 2]

17 years ago #

The expand comments link should be also made available below all the comments, in addition to above them.

JohnMu [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I like it :-) – good work!

Pau Tomàs [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

One bug. When you're posting a new thread, pressing tab when the focus is on the title field does take you to the Blog link instead of giving focust to the Full name field.

17 years ago #

Now this thread has been collapsed, the "Above 9 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged, below comments were made afterwards." doesn't make as much sense because I can only see one comment above the split. Not sure how best to remedy that, other than a simple change of wording....

"9 comments were made in the forum before this was blogged, below comments were made afterwards."

17 years ago #

I've fixed this thread now:

http://blogoscoped.com/forum/101339.html#id101504

This used to happen in the old design too, and also happens on a lot of websites.

I guess since you're using a fixed width layout, you could set a width to the column and set text-overflow to hidden as the only time this is a problem is when people post long strings with no word break characters (like spaces or hyphens).

17 years ago #

Thanks Tony. I've spotted another issue, well not so much issue as something that could be improved.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/2209/captureto9.jpg

Maybe it would look better if they were in a list that lined up.
eg.
Comments elsewhere:
googlewatchblog.de
feeds.searchenginela...

DPic [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

It looks great! I'm in Thailand so i have limited access to the internet. This was a very nice surprise :D I'm in some cafe with a few computers which don't have any permissions controls so i went ahead and installed firefox. The worst part was having to use IE to do it :P

17 years ago #

The "collapse"/ "above comments" notes have now been improved to work together better...

Piotr Zgodzinski [PersonRank 4]

17 years ago #

I was so shocked about the new design, that I re-typed the url (to outer-court) by hand immediately only to discover, that it didn't help, the mirage was still there. I'm not sure what I should think about new design yet, but I can say that I got used to the old one very much, visiting this site on a daily routine.

I will be keeping an eye on your domain transition and it's side-effects, please report about them in a most detailed manner, because I'm in a similiar position, as I'll soon be replacing my old ugly domain www.jubi.buum.pl with a new one – www.zgodzinski.com

17 years ago #

The "comments elsewhere" feature is now changed to a new format (credits to Martin + Tony!). You can see it at the end of this thread or also here:
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/101414.html#id101428

Bryan Burkholder [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Nice redesign, but could use a little help. Having all the text aligned close to the left feels very awkward, as does having a huge blank gray bar on the right. The gray bar should be a vertically tilled gradient as the site looks boring if you are not at the top.. Text on the gray bar should have a higher visibility. Gray on gray hard to make out at a glance. Search should be more predominate. Do not like the collapsible links on the top. Makes the layout look sparse. You should put the same links on the bottom of all your pages as you do have on the top, because making your users scroll to the top to click a link is a bad navigation design. Comments from an experienced website designer.

OREO [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I like the old design better. Sorry!

Josue R. [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

great design. nice job.

17 years ago #

Thanks Colin & Philipp
Stupid me, I didn't saw that "expand" thing
BTW its a cool idea to collapse extra comments.

And as Colin said, if we can have a count at the expand link, it would be great

Jason Schramm [PersonRank 5]

17 years ago #

The design seems to leave a lot of empty page space on the sides of the page and around posts. Takes a lot of scrolling to read all the news.

thinkby [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

This is very fancy.

Sankar Anand [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Wow Great

Congrats everyone! Blogoscoped Rocks with new looks!

17 years ago #

It might make sense to move the "Comments elsewhere" area below the comment form so you don't have to scroll through all of them like in this thread where there are many external links now:
http://blogoscoped.com/forum/101414.html#id101428

Also, how are you getting names for the comments elsewhere?

17 years ago #

>> Takes a lot of scrolling to read all the news.

It's much easier to read short lines of text than really long ones though, so I think the scrolling isn't a problem.

Suresh S [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

the ads can be moved a bit right and comments elsewhere can be added

17 years ago #

> Also, how are you getting names for
> the comments elsewhere?

It's the neat Google feed API + Google Blog search + some customization. For the names, Google offers an entry.author value, which I then connect to a special icons list (which is mainly a copy of the forum icons, but it also differs a bit). I posted some background info here yesterday:
http://groups.google.com/group/Google-AJAX-Search-API/browse_thread/thread/fa10a6a404ddc22d/467b8b40b080323b#467b8b40b080323b

Added to above description I made another change. Now the Atom feed is ordered by date, and expands to show dupes too, and then I filter out the dupes myself. Why? Because Google filtered out the wrong dupes, that is, they didn't show the original comment someone made when an automated blog copied that other comment.. even though the Google Blog Search already knows which was first (I alerted Google of this bug, or what you may call it). So now I order by date, reverse the list, and filter out copies manually.

Depending on how things go, I might restrict the "comments elsewhere" to English only (Tony told me you can simply append a lang parameter to the feed URL), though currently I kind of like to see those too...

17 years ago #

Philipp
I like the way you have avoided login system for posting & replying
It actually makes it more usable

But can we have someway to edit post/comment
I know it might be difficult to avoid login, allow edit & maintain sanity.

But if we can have something like if the post/comment is made from a particular IP & has some particular cookie, then same name can edit it.

Its too much to ask but just an idea :)

Alex Leonard [PersonRank 1]

17 years ago #

Nice design. I think it's a definite improvement on the old design, although one suggestion I would have is to make use of the grey sidebar and put some more information and links in there. Archives? Categories?

17 years ago #

I have to say "Comments elsewhere" are very annoying, especially where there is many of them. I think they should be hidden by default, similarly to "more >>"

17 years ago #

That is – there should be link "Comments elsewhere (13)" that would show those links without refreshing page.

Editing would be nice feature, too. You could save special token in the cookie and allow people to edit their posts for limited period of time (10 minutes?). I make a lot of mistakes and I always notice them just after posting.

Ludwik

gregorianthalan [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

The information here is a gem!

[Signature URL removed – Tony]

17 years ago #

Ludwik, the first thing I'll do to lower the "trackback noise" is to remove non-English blogs, I guess (as soon as I have access to a real computer somewhere!), because most of us won't understand anyway. I'll also consider collapsing comments the way you suggest (or moving them below the comment box)...

17 years ago #

> moving them below the comment box

That's actually a pretty neat idea.
That make sense. Those are not items you reply to, so they shouldn't be above text box. And below there still visible, but don't annoy you.

> remove non-English blogs

I understand your reasons, but I have to say – it was very interesting for me to find today (with this feature) a post on Polish blog about your note about the gay parade. I even commented there.

HotCatgirl [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

i have every time same error
max size 25 kb...

[Spam] [PersonRank 0]

17 years ago #

[Spam removed – Tony]

17 years ago #

The above post is obviously a SPAM (http://www.google.com/search?q=%22%D0%9E%D1%87%D0%B5%D0%BD%D1%8C+%D0%B8%D0%BD%D1%82%D0%B5%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%81%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B9+%D1%81%D0%B0%D0%B9%D1%82%2C+%D1%85%D0%BE%D1%82%D1%8F+%D0%B8+%D0%BD%D0%B5+%D1%85%D0%B2%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%B0%D0%B5%D1%82+%D0%BF%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%BE%D1%87%D0%BA%D0%B8+%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B7%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%B2.+%D0%9D%D0%BE+%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B7%D0%B4%D0%B5%D0%BB%22&btnG=Search). Rather strange, though, because it doesn't include any links. Anyway, I'm pretty shocked, because I don't speak Russian... at all, but still I can understand above SPAM very well. What does it mean? :>

17 years ago #

I don't speak Russian also but i think it's spam just like Ludwik said. Any Russians in the house? ;)

17 years ago #

I haven't made my post clear...
I know that this is SPAM, because of Google results for this text. And I understand what this text means. It goes like this – "Good Morning! Interesting site's name – blogoscoped.com, how have you managed to got such a nice domain name? " and so on...

My question wasn't about what this text means, but what means the fact that I don't speak Russian, and usually don't understand Russian texts, but still I understand some random Russian spam (I made the above translation without any dictionary or automatic translator...).

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Philipp,

Has this new design been tested for usability for users with "color blindness" ?

17 years ago #

Pd, I try to make sure to use e.g. underlines, not just colors for links (unless the link isn't differentiated at all). If there's more to think of it would be interesting to know...

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

What about the totally blind? ;-)

17 years ago #

> What about the totally blind?

Actually yes, I optimized the underlying HTML for text-to-screen readers. For instance, I'm putting the navigation below the content so you don't have to get through it when you want the content. This is also good for mobile phones. Using CSS, you can separate the "content direction" from the visuals. And let's not forget the Googlebot also doesn't render visuals!

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

Philipp, recently I was "turned on" in this area ..

http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/complete.html

and this got me thinking actually what % of Google's pages are designed to accommodate the W3 guidelines or for that matter of fact any website (.. and off course you redesigned your pages too!! :)-

Current research indicates that less then 2% of overall sites can sustain usability for special needs person. I found this to be stat's to be really intriguing... when there's 7-10% of "Red-green" effect within the whole world's population. This means sites that are can't be used by over (mean value) 8.5% of the world's internet users.

Not sure the figures on the internet users from PEW..but if one has that it becomes a simple maths .. of how many users one negates from visiting a site – based on usability criteria.

James Xuan [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

I was actually joking, but cool!

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]pd

There's always the Google Accessible Search for visually impaired peole:
http://labs.google.com/accessible/

Btw, was this always powered by Google CSE?

/pd [PersonRank 10]

17 years ago #

[put at-character here]martin

Thanks for the linky. never know that existed ..and no, I don think this was part of CSE. Maybe someone (From google) can clarify when flavour of the SE, found its way into CSE!!

17 years ago #

Google Accessible Search is only useful for finding accessible web pages and is powered by Google Co-op / Custom Search (though I don't really understand in what way).

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=000183394137052953072%3Azc1orsc6mbq

Forum home

Advertisement

Blog  |  Forum     more >> Archive | Feed | Google's blogs | About
Advertisement

This site unofficially covers Google™ and more with some rights reserved. Join our forum!